Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

new to site.

crazyandclutzy

Cavy Slave
Hi I'm new to this site and have a few questions. I have had guinea pigs before but I did not know about this site back then and had them in small pet stroe cages and I still feel horrible about it. I'm hoping to convince my parents to let me adopt 2 or 3 piggies and want to get all the info i can now
1.what is the best brand of pellets?
2. Is it better to adopt an adult or a baby?
3.what is the best type of bedding?
4.how much hay should they have?
5.what are the best kind of veggies?
6.how much does it cost monthly to care for your guinea pigs?
7.Would it be better to adopt 2 guinea pigs or 3?

thanks!

1. Oxbow is the best (broken link removed)
2. It doesn't matter really, just pick the ones you think are cutest no matter the age
3. There isn't a best really. Anything but cedar and non kiln dried pine. THat leaves aspen, carefresh, kiln dried pine, and fleece
4. Unlimeted hay, all the time
5. GuineaLynx.info/nutrition.html for all your food questions
6. For my four boys it costs about 50 dollars a month I figure. I use fleece so I don't have the expense of loose bedding
7. Again it is up to you. If you have enough space for three, go for three, if only enough space for two, thats good too. I like having the number I have because its cool to see the simalarities and diffrences between all of them

Hello!
1) Best brand = oxbow pellets
2) It's your choice! Babies are more active and the older ones are more laid back
3) There are lots of good beddings - aspen, careFresh. Lots have people have started to use fleece. Its really absorbant, clean and cheap
4) They need to have at least one large handfull of hay a day. I usually give two - one in the morning, one before bed
5) Go to www.guinealynx.com then click on nutrition. Firm favourites = romaine lettuce, cilantro, parsley, ball pepper, carrots (feed in moderation)
6) It's difficult to say... because I bought my pellets and hay in bulk there was one huge cost at the begining. For 2 pigs, veggies come up to 7-8 pounds a week. So thats roughly 30 pounds a month
7) Again, solely your choice. They do well in pairs and trios

ack, you beat me to it!

1. Oxbow is the best. Get Oxbow Cavy Cuisine for adults, and Oxbow Cavy Performance for under 6 months.

2. Adopt either. Babies are more skittish, while adults like to cuddle a bit more.

3. Don't use cedar, that is the worst. Your options are CareFRESH, kiln-dried pine, aspen, or fleece.

4. They should have unlimited timothy hay. (broken link removed)

5. Mine get Romaine, carrots, parsley, cilantro, tomato, and cucumber on Sat, Sun, Tues, Thurs. They get romaine, grapes, apple, strawberry, and cilantro on Mon, Wed, and Fri.

6. I spend about $50 a month for my pigs. Average is probably $25.

7. Most pigs come in pairs, so two might be better suited.

Heh, what can I say Piglet, I'm good ;)

thanks for your replies.its amazing how quickly people respond!

Can you get Oxbow at stores or is it only avaliable over the internet?
I think I might try to find an adult pair.
How do you use fleece? wouldn't it get all wet from the pee and stuff?
would it be better to get 2 females or 2 males?
thanks again for the help

I'm not too sure where to get Oxbow, I don't live in the US
Fleece doesn't get that wet - you need to change it every 3-4 days. Put a layer of newspaper underneath, or towels. Doesn't matter whether you get 2 boys or girls, both sexes are great!

ON oxbow there is a store locater. Also, make the yellow pages your best friend, look for feed stores, call them up and ask.

(broken link removed) has a store locator, like dagwell said. It's your choice if you want to get sows or boars.

1) Oxbow or Proform.
2) That is up to you to determine which you would like. Maybe adopt one adult and one baby.
3) Here is a list of many types and combinations of beddings that can be used. https://guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2131
4) Unlimted quantities of good grass hay, it does not have to be timothy. It can be any good grass hay and if you have pigs under 6 months you need alfalfa. If you have a mix of ages under and over 6 months you can do half grass hay/half alfalfa. You can purchase bales of hay locally from a feed store or you can order online from places like www.oxbowhay.com or (broken link removed). You can also buy bags of Kay-Tee hay but they are usually very dusty.
5) www.guinealynx.info/nutrition.html
6) It depends on how many pigs you have and what type of bedding you use.
7) New owners should start with 2, more experienced owners, well that is personal preference and also depends on how much space you have for a C&C and how large of a C&C you can build.

thanks. i didn't think it was a good idea to put a baby guinea pig with an adult. wouldn't he pick on the baby?

Not likely. The babies usually submit to the adult.

crazyandclutzy said:
Hi I'm new to this site and have a few questions. I have had guinea pigs before but I did not know about this site back then and had them in small pet stroe cages and I still feel horrible about it. I'm hoping to convince my parents to let me adopt 2 or 3 piggies and want to get all the info i can now
1.what is the best brand of pellets?
2. Is it better to adopt an adult or a baby?
3.what is the best type of bedding?
4.how much hay should they have?
5.what are the best kind of veggies?
6.how much does it cost monthly to care for your guinea pigs?
7.Would it be better to adopt 2 guinea pigs or 3?

thanks!
you should feed the g-pigs that you get red or green pepers often mainly red and planty of parsley any kind (must be human grade)

Grace, you don't have private message enabled so I have no choice but to tell you here to please use proper punctuation, capitalization, grammer and spelling when posting. Thanks.

Parsley should not be fed on a daily basis because of the high amount of calcium. A good alternative is cilantro which can be fed daily. You can feed parsley every 2-3 days in small amounts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.