Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to site, open to advice and suggestions with a little problem.

Trishiferr

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. This is just my first post and I have a bit of a situation. My first guinea pig I ever rescued (Yes I rescue, I don't purchase or breed.) passed away this morning of natural causes. We hand fed her for a week and took her to the vet multiple times and did everything we could. Me and my fiance' are having a rough time with it and I have a few questions for the community.

My first question is will the cage mate be alright?
They were together for a long time and would never leave each others side. I'm a little worried that my other piggie will be depressed now and I don't want anything to happen to her as well.

Second, when is it to soon to get a new piggy?
Now I'm not saying I'm thinking about running out and getting a new pig. I just have a habit of taking guinea pigs from people who can't take care of them anymore. I also want to eventually get a new piggy for my female eventually since I can already tell she is lonely now (She was with the other one since she was roughly 3 months old.) Plus my fiance would like another one eventually as well, for the same reasons basically. Plus I am worried that the cage is to big for just one guinea pig.

Third, Will my guinea pig even except a new cage mate if I get one eventually?
She really loved Spooky and I don't know if she would open up to another piggy so to speak. I don't want them to fight or hurt each other.

Thanks to anyone who helps me out.

well I cant tell you when its too soon to get a new pig, I personally believe that is up to you. you have to do your grieving. She wont expect it, but i bet shell be happy about it XD. When it comes to loses in the gunie pig world I think they understand to some extant that there friend is gone and isn't coming back. Most pigs do get depressed when losing a friend just like people do but life goes on for them as it would people. Its really up to the pig

Thank you :] To be honest I'm in that stage where I don't wanna even put any of my piggies down cause I don't wanna lose them haha. I guess I'm a bit paranoid right now is all.

There's no hard and fast rule about when it's okay to get another pig. That all depends on when you are ready for a new one.

If you are concerned about your pig accepting a new friend, you can call and see if you can do a meet & greet between your pigs and adoptable pigs at the shelter or rescue. Although they can exerience grief and depression from the loss of a bonded friend, they are also adaptable to new friends.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.