Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to site, LOVE IT and general question.

ckidder

Cavy Slave
My name is Crissy and I just joined this site over the weekend, and after looking through it, I just love it. Lots of great info out there for everyone.

About a month ago I got a guinea pig who is now SPOILED rotten, but he is cute. I name him Squeaker (not knowing if it's a he or she) found out this weekend i believe it's a He. Anyway, I also rescued 2 new guinea pigs on Saturday. Both are older, and both were at one time from a rescue here in Texas, which is where the lady I got them from adopted them. And she gave them to me, bec. she was not taking care of them.
Autumn is the female and is a long haired gp. Well she was FULL of matts. Which i was able to get them all off her over a 2 day period of cuting them, and then finally taking electric trimmers to them. Her nails were also really bad. Got those taken care of too. Autumn has been spayed so she can't have babies either, which I am happy about.

Autumn's cage mate is a male named Sherlock. Sherlock is a short haired gp that is fuzzy. He has also been neutered too. His nails were really bad, but I got those taken care of too.

My question is that i am keeping Autumn and Sherlock together, bec. they have been together for a long time. I am using recycled stuff that I bought at the store. But it just seems to stay wet. On Saturday I had to buy them the cage, and put new bedding in it. Well it's already soaked. So tonight when i get off work, I am going to have to change it again. What are most people using for bedding? Or is it bec. I am just used to Squeakers all by himself and his bedding doesn't get as bad. But this is also the first time I am going to use this same bedding in Squeakers cage, but i just put this stuff in there yesterday.

So I was just wondering in general what have people found to be the best stuff to use?

Thanks again for any advice, and it is so wonderful to have a site to go to that can answer so many questions. Bec. we are all here for one thing...
We love our Piggies:)

Welcome to the forum! We'd love to see some pigtures of your babies. :) Just a quick question: You did quarentine the rescued pigs before you introduced them to Squeakers, right?

Many of us use fleece for bedding. Underneath it you use towels, a Uhaul pad, etc. It is loved bec. the fleece wicks the pigs' pee to the bedding underneath so they stay dry and aren't sleeping in their pee. It is also VERY cheap. Buying fleece is a one time thing. Or ad least yearly. It is re-usable. You just wash it in the washing machine w/ the Uhaul pad/towel(s). The pigs love it's softness, and it is also very stylish. Plus, you get to pick the fleece. For more information, read the sticky in the bedding forum. ("Fleece: The Study" I think it's called)

Fleece seems to work better in a C&C cage, do you have one of these?

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need, because as you said, we are all her for the piggies:)

Oh, I just saw something i didn't see before. You should be quarentining them right now. Don't do introductions for 2-3 weeks.

www.Cavyspirit.com has a "social life" section that talks about quarentining and introductions, so I'd go there to learn about that. (This is basically the best source of information you can get) Jackie's guinea pigs (another website) also has some great information about this in the companionship and introductions section.

Hope this helps:)

I don't believe you can have two males and a female living together, regardless on who's neutered.
Carefresh is the best loose bedding (that is also comfortable for them), but for large C&C cages it is far too expensive. If you have a small cage, it doesn't really matter what bedding you use, it won't hold up.
Fleece is a very popular choice of bedding and looks great in the C&C cages. It's also a one time spend, which is probably the best part. :)

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking all those guys in.

How often you have to change bedding has everything to do with the size of the cage. If you've got a tiny one, you're going to have to clean it every day. If it's huge, you may get by with once a week.

I wouldn't recommend that you start out with fleece. For one thing, you may want to eventually put all three pigs in the same cage, and if you make fleece to fit what you have now, it may not work in a larger cage. Most people who build C&C cages wind up remodeling them several times before they wind up with what they want, and it's just much easier and cheaper to use disposable bedding until you cage is the way you like it. Once you know it works for you and the pigs, then you can try fleece. There are plenty of fleece lovers on here, and a few fleece haters (me among them).

Kiln dried pine or aspen shavings are good bedding materials. Some people use Carefresh or Yesterday's News. I think the wood shavings do better at odor control, but your mileage may vary. If you can put litter pans where they pee and poop the most (usually the corners and under the hay rack), you can catch a lot of output and save yourself some cleaning. Putting small changeable pads under their hideys, like fleece sewed to towels or mattress padding, will also help.

I have not put Autumn and Sherlock with Squeakers. They are totally seperated from Squeakers. Squeakers is a young male, who I think if i ever did introduce them all together would just prolly not be a good combo. Bec. Sherlock even though neutered, is very much protective over Autumn, even when I go to pet her, he will raise his hair on end and chatter. So I don't think Sherlock and Squeakers would be good friends. Plust Autumn and Sherlock are HUGE...I mean size wise they are 2 times bigger. and Squeakers isn't a baby either.

I would love to post pics of them all. Especially of Autumn before and after her hair cut. So I will have to figure out how to do this.

As for their habitat. They are in cages. But we get them out every night. I would love to have the cages that I have seen on this site. And hope that one day I will be able to. And yes I think using the fleece would be wonderful bec. I could just wash and dry it.

thanks again, you have given me lots to think about.

What is keeping you from getting them a C&C cage? Just curious, we may be able to help:) (Depending on the situation of course)

Can't wait for the pigtures! Have you considered finding a friend for Squeakers?

The cage they are in are 18 x 30, I guess just maybe 2 piggies do a lot more than the one I was used too..lol

Right now we are renting a house and looking into buying. I also have a few dogs, and I just don't trust them around my pigs with an open top. So if I would do something like the C&C cages I would have to look into doing something with putting a roof over them. So before I do the C&C I want to make sure about having a top on them, but I am looking into them, bec. I love them and the looks of them.

I am going to get me some wee wee pads and put under their bedding to absorb the wetness, and see if this will help out more. And will just have to experiment with different type of bedding till i do the C&C cages.

a friend for Squeaker...haven't put much thought into it right now, as since I just took these new ones on, I am trying to get used to having more. but it's not out of the questions either :)

I will try to post pictures as soon as I can. and figured out how to

Size has absolutely nothing to do with how well pigs will get along. It's possible that your two males would fight to the death. It's also possible they'd love each other -- there's no way to know unless you try it. I'm not saying you should try it, just that based on the information you've offered, there's nothing except cage size to say it shouldn't be done.

If you do decide to try it, be sure to read Guinea Pigs Social Life first. The Introductions section is about halfway down the page.

If you have them in two pet store cages, you've already spent more than a larger C&C cage(s) would cost. The two that are together need more room -- that's probably why you're getting chattered at when you try to pet Autumn. You have two pigs in half the space recommended for one pig. And closet shelving makes wonderful lids from C&C cages.

Wow I guess I never thought that the money I spent on the cages would cost more. I will most deff. look into getting the C&C cages as soon as possible and sell these cages for sure. Thanks for making me wake up lol.

Again you are all wonderful!! And I will post pictures soon!!

Look on craigslist (or bookoo.com if there is an active one near you) for the cube grids. That's what I did. I have at the very least 3 complete sets that I spent $30. Then I went to thrift stores for towels so I didn't spend much on them. You can find fleece there too, but it may not be the size you need. I ended up buying some there but I've used that for fleece forests and cozies and tunnels and such.

The newer guy I got came with some bedding, so for the sake of transitions, I used some, just a handful, and I was cussing it the next day when I cleaned it up. The fleece is SO much easier. In fact, it works so well that I ditched the store piddle pads my chihuahuas were using and went to towels and fleece for them, too!

Welcome to the forum! I see you have already gotten great advice already.

I am a fleece and uhaul user and love it, Bpatters is just a fleece hater :p
Fleece is great but it can give a new user many headaches when you first start out. There is a fleece study that has tons of information to read through. I'd suggest taking a read if your interested in going that route.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding/21568-fleece-project-study.html

I don't think that you can successfully house two males and one female together. The last poster was right that size of the gps doesn't matter; it all about personality. But even two males that previously got along tend to fight if a single female is introduced. Of course there are always the exceptions, but that is the general social rule.

I have a male/female pair, and then my solo male is in an adjoined cage (just grids separating them) and they get the companionship they want without my solo male being upset over sharing his "space". They sleep next to each other on opposite sides of the grids, sniff each other, talk to each other... It works well. BUT, should the males see each other in the huge open play area with many feet separating them, hair is up and teeth are chattering. They both seem to like the dividing lines. (the shelter I adopted from alters their males, so even fixed this is still the situation)

For your cage, it's also easy to fashion a cover using a single piece of wire shelving, which can then be easily opened/closed and offers more protection for them.

I think it's great that you have adopted these piggies. It sounds like you are doing a good job at learning about care, and have already made a difference for them. Good luck, and post some pics!! :)

Size has absolutely nothing to do with how well pigs will get along. It's possible that your two males would fight to the death. It's also possible they'd love each other -- there's no way to know unless you try it. I'm not saying you should try it, just that based on the information you've offered, there's nothing except cage size to say it shouldn't be done.

If you do decide to try it, be sure to read Guinea Pigs Social Life first. The Introductions section is about halfway down the page.

If you have them in two pet store cages, you've already spent more than a larger C&C cage(s) would cost. The two that are together need more room -- that's probably why you're getting chattered at when you try to pet Autumn. You have two pigs in half the space recommended for one pig. And closet shelving makes wonderful lids from C&C cages.

Yeah I am most deff going to look into the C&C cages. I have looked at a few designs tat people have posted and like those very much.

Also I downloaded the iPhone ap forum runner, which I am using now. Can I upload pics from this or does it have to be from my computer?

Wait I think I found a place to up load for
This app. I will give it a try.

If this works out then Autumn is the black and white gp. And I have before and after pics of her. Along with the big matt that was stuck on her bottom. The trash can shows all the matts that were cut off her.

Sherlock is the fuzzy calico one and Squeakers is the slick hair calico one. Hope this works :)

How cool. It worked!!

So the first and last pic is Squeakers.

Oh and the first pics of Autumn and Sherlock in the box... Is how I got them. That was taken at 545 am bec my hubby and I went to pic them up at 530 that morning.

Your piggie is beautiful! How did u upload the photos on the app?

First had to buy the app bec free one I don't think will do it bec I couldn't even reply with the free app.

So when you go to reply to a message up in the corner is a + sign. Push that and it comes up with choices to upload. I picked from my photos on my phone. Then it up loads it and u push on where it says done uploading and then a window pops up saying insert inline. Tap that and it attaches words. When done you end your reply and you pic is there.

Hope I made sense :)

Attachments

image-732573628.jpg
Thanks for posting the pics! Very cute!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.