Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New to guinea pigs! Help needed

alyssa.doherty

Cavy Slave
Why are my guinea pigs so afraid of me? My newest guinea pig, Luna, is absolutely terrified of me and pretty much any noise possible. My first guinea pig was the same, but she's warmed up to me after being held numerous times. I try to talk calmly to Luna and when I go to pet her, she runs away. How am I supposed to hold her and get her to be comfortable with me if I can never catch her? :( Also, when i do get near her, she starts shrieking and I don't know what to do!

My second guinea pig is very talkative and at first I was sacred I was hurting her when I tried to pick her up. But, she's just more squeaky than my first who is very quiet and calm. So I was accustomed to the noisyness.
I got her about a month ago so the process is still going on but I've learned that associating you with treats is the best way to deal with new additions. Since you already had a guinea pig, you probably know this but, every time you pick her up, give her a little treat. She will start to think that you will always have something good for her and she'll eventually always want to be with you.

Try beginning by feeding her while she's in the cage. Hold one of her favorite treats in your hand, and let her come up to you to eat it without trying to grab her or touch her. Eventually she should associate approaching you with food, not fear. I do this with my younger gp. Now when I'm in the cage, sitting and doing maintenance or giving pets she isn't afraid to approach me and sniff around to see what I'm doing. And don't worry if she always runs away when you try to grab her; I believe that's typical with guinea pigs...even my fat old Frappe gets feral sometimes ;) check out the Hot Tips section of the forum for easier ways to catch your guins. Good luck!

also try using an old shoe box to get her out if you cant get her out yourself.

Thanks everyone! Gonna try the treat thing. I'm really looking forward to the day when they're not scared anymore :)

I have to use a tube to get gidget out and she still runs from me when I go to the cage. but if im adding food or hay or hanging her sacks or picking poo she will come out to see what im doing. I think its a game with her though. She will come to the tube sometimes and others she runs round and round. and I have had her for about a month

Aw, that's so cute lol. My guinea pig Oreo loves the treats I give her lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.