Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to Cavies, just building the cage

New To Cavies

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I'm a single mom with a 7 (soon to be 8) year old son. We are excited about getting guinea pigs but I'm still building the cage. I anticipate getting the coroplast floors (2 level closed) today so I should be well on the way.

We have 4 cats and an old dog so safety from the felines is an issue but doable. Since everything else in my house is adopted (including my son:love:) we are planning on adopting rather than buying our pigs.

So far from all I've read this is a great place to learn about guinea pigs and I'm sure I have only scratched the surface. Thanks for this resource!

Bev

Hi welcome to the forums. Sounds like you are off to a great start! So glad you are choosing adopting, you will be saving lives (which I am sure you know). Feel free to ask any questions no matter how small, someone likely has an answer or we will help find the answer :cheerful:. What size cage are you building? And we love pigtures (when you get your new additions) and we love cattures and dogtures 2 :D.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm building a 2X3 with 2 levels. It has to be covered due to the carnivores but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make doors without doing any cutting. And I was thinking the top would be the feeding/sleeping/potty station. Can I put the dividers to support the top zip tied in the middle of each end so they support the top or is it eaven necessary?

There are a lot of photos of covered and multilevel cages in the gallery section. You might want to check them out tol get a lot of ideas.

Hi, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm building a 2X3 with 2 levels. It has to be covered due to the carnivores but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make doors without doing any cutting. And I was thinking the top would be the feeding/sleeping/potty station. Can I put the dividers to support the top zip tied in the middle of each end so they support the top or is it eaven necessary?

First, warm welcome to the forums and congratulations on your soon to be new arrivals! Have you found the ones you're going to adopt yet or are you just setting up first?

Secondly, as pinky said, you should check out the photos of people's doors in the album. I've seen some people use binder clips to clasp a door shut on one side rather then using wire ties on both sides. ;)

Hi,

I'm just setting up for now but also keeping my eye on our local SPCA and a small pet rescue. I want to get the right ones for my son and I since turning them in again isn't something I want to submit them to.

I checked out a video in another forum and it seems to work. I have little problem. I got some precut and scored coroplast on eBay but they made it to the outside dimensions of my cage, not the inside. The gaps aren't huge so it's working okay, but I don't have any leeway for wrap around bedding. I think I'll have to use disposable bedding instead. Now for other forums about toys, best foods etc. All fun!!

I use fleece and I do not wrap it up over the edges. I cut the U-haul pad to the size of my coroplast and the fleece is about 2 inches wider and longer and I fold it under the U-haul (at the corners think about wrapping a present). You can also sew liners that just set it, I don't like the look of it going up and over the sides. I give my pigs other stuff to burrow in and so far so good :) They do not try to get under the fleece.

Not to change the subject, but I was checking out the vet forums. Are pigs really as delicate and hard to maintain helth wise as the forums make it sound?

I do wrap my fleece up and over the coroplast sides. It prevents them from trying to burrow under it, or chewing on the coroplast. The coroplast was a pain to get home, so I don't want to do it again! LOL. Plus, I think it looks nicer than just plain white coro showing on the outside.

I think I'll have to use disposable bedding instead
For your coro, you can always tape it back together, and then re-score it to the proper dimensions. I went to a local craft store and bought white duct tape to match the white coro so it wouldn't be visible. I just bought some black coro for my bunnies (they're white and white and black), so I'm going to buy some black duct tape for their coro. Duct tape comes in all colors now, so you wouldn't even see it if you tape it and re-cut it. Fleece really is easier and cheaper in the long run. Unless you're a fleece addict, like I am, that is!:D

Not to change the subject, but I was checking out the vet forums. Are pigs really as delicate and hard to maintain helth wise as the forums make it sound?
You need to realize that a 2lb animal is not as sturdy as a 10 lb cat. It's very difficult to set teeny tiny broken bones, or start an IV if they get sick. If you are careful, they can be healthy for a very long time. We're used to taking some banging around, but people average 150 lbs, so the size difference is extreme. I think the worst is the way they hide their illnesses. You have to be alert to the slightest changes to catch on when they are sick. But, no, I don't fuss at them all the time. I keep their cage and food/water items clean, and with a quality diet, I haven't had any problems. You'll see so many problems on a forum because people are asking for advice. You don't hear about the hundreds of pets that aren't sick.

If I were you, I would go to https://www.guinealynx.info/ Have a look around that site and the forums to familiarize yourself with cavy medical problems. Understanding the warning signs of an ill pig will help a lot.
Providing a proper diet is a major part in keeping a guinea pig healthy. Make sure to give proper pellets, water, grass hay, and variety of fresh veggies and occcasionally fruit.
Just like any animal, sometimes things can happen that we don't have any control over. You just have to be prepared and have a good exotic vet lined up when something
happens.

Edit to add: Also make sure to have a look over the veggie chart in the diet and nutrition forum!!

Thanks, that's a bit more comforting. Cats are surprisingly good at hiding illnesses to so I understand watching them closely and learning what is normal and what isn't. I had chosen guinea pigs since I understood them to be hardy. I get the physically delicate since they are small but of course the websites all lead you to believe they are pretty much trouble free. All the illness forums made me a little nervous but it makes sense. Good food, clean water, clean environment and they should be fine 90% of the time?

Thanks, that's a bit more comforting. Cats are surprisingly good at hiding illnesses to so I understand watching them closely and learning what is normal and what isn't. I had chosen guinea pigs since I understood them to be hardy. I get the physically delicate since they are small but of course the websites all lead you to believe they are pretty much trouble free. All the illness forums made me a little nervous but it makes sense. Good food, clean water, clean environment and they should be fine 90% of the time?
I would say so. And if you keep an eye on them and catch things early enough it usually is not a major issue. Also going with guinea pigs from a rescue is a huge benefit, because they are generally really healthy, have had vet checks from knowledgeable vets, and been under the watchful eye of knowledgeable foster parents. The other benefit of adopting a rescue pet is the rescue people are generally very interested in the animals welfare and have access to resources most people in the community do not even know about.

Let's face it, all animals come with a risk and no one can guarantee that any animal will not develop health issues. Guinea pig ownership truly is a privileged and joy. With a watchful eye, proper "house" keeping, and the proper diet, most issues can be avoided.

Generally people find this forum either looking to build a cage and a lot seem to find it when something is wrong with their guinea pig(s) or there is an on going condition. Do not let it deter you from getting guinea pigs; I promise that they are truly a pleasure and provide so much joy that no matter what happens you take more good out of the care and companionship you/they provide than any illness or God forbid death may cause.

I agree on all points! Especially after just paying $661 for dog and cat vet visit and cleaning. And I did find this forum and website looking for cage info. I'm almost done with mine. I just need to build the top then start furnishing it. I'm keeping my eye on the SPCA for pigs. There was a run of 8 of them not too long ago. Now there's a ton of bunnies and rats (and cats). Sad how some people don't take in animals with an eye toward keeping them all their lives.

I agree on all points! Especially after just paying $661 for dog and cat vet visit and cleaning. And I did find this forum and website looking for cage info. I'm almost done with mine. I just need to build the top then start furnishing it. I'm keeping my eye on the SPCA for pigs. There was a run of 8 of them not too long ago. Now there's a ton of bunnies and rats (and cats). Sad how some people don't take in animals with an eye toward keeping them all their lives.
So very true. We would love to see pics when you are done with the cage. It is heart warming to see you are so committed :cheerful:.

I still need bedding, food dishes, and other goodies to make it a great piggy home but this is the bare bones so far. [GuineaPigCages.com] New to Cavies, just building the cage[GuineaPigCages.com] New to Cavies, just building the cage[GuineaPigCages.com] New to Cavies, just building the cage[GuineaPigCages.com] New to Cavies, just building the cage[GuineaPigCages.com] New to Cavies, just building the cage

Did you line up one of your cubes as a hay rack (picture 3)? I've read about people having safety issues with cube hay racks on here. I would make sure the access into it is blocked so that your piggy doesn't get a foot stuck. That would be bad!

It looks like a palace! I would look into the hay rack issue that critter mentioned just in case, I do not know much about it so can offer no advice. I do not use a grid rack.

It does look like a palace. My one concern is the hay rack, but I just thought of something i could add. Some people bend there hay racks so that both sides are tied securely to the rest of the grids, but they can get as much hay in it as possible.

Like this

CD Hay Rack - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.