Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Piggy Owner. Mislead by breeders!

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your great replies. Lots of helpful information. I love this forum.

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
Will be returning the female this weekend and get a little male. I feel sad having to give her up. She is so cute and has such a calm disposition. She likes to be handled and she really is beautiful. Hate to part with her, but can't house four GP's. it gets expensive and saving for materials to build a C&C cage and fleece liner.

So sad. :sad:

TP

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
You're piggies are so cute!!

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
Just to clarify my sources, not start something, My information on females was admittedly wrong (I went back and checked my book) But the book I have- written by a exotic animal vet, and my own exotic animal vet both say that males are only capable of impregnating females at 6-8 weeks. I had to check because just under a year ago we got Seras and three and half weeks later I went looking for a companion for her on who was younger. I found an ad on craigslist for two babies a male and a female whose mother had come from petsmart impregnated. I was super excited until I realized that she was housing them together and after scouring the internet/ my guinea pig book/ and calling my small animal vet the veterinarian consensus was males become viable at 6-8 weeks and the females as early as 3, while the internet was all over the place. I chose to trust my vet and an exotic animal vet who has been in there field for over 35 years.

So again not to start something, but two vets verified this, and when I brought Pip home at 5 1/2 weeks she was not pregnant.

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh please don't take her back there! If they breed her she WILL die. It's just a question of how long she will survive and how many pregnancies she will be able to live through. Do you have something like craigslist where you can find a new home for her yourself? Or put an add up on the guinea pig zone. Even if you have to keep her in a tiny cage for a few weeks until you can get her a new home it's a million times better then taking her back there!

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I agree with [MENTION=24811]Colorado Cavies[/MENTION] please don't give her back to the breeder. She would do better at a shelter or rescue. You can post a rehoming ad on www.guineapigzone.com

claudinehere

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh, your post makes me think of the outrageous things I've heard from a lot of guinea pig "enthusiasts" and breeders here in the Philippines. You're right about how everything is just about the sale to them, I feel so bad for the piggies... I am so glad that you did your research though! At least now you know better!

Did you really give the female back? If not yet, please don't do it! I agree with them, just post an ad or bring her to a shelter near you.

Red5Iam

Cavy Slave
Thirding or fourthing? Don't return her to the breeder :( There's no chance that you could keep the two separated for a little while and look into neutering the boy, since you're already attached to them both? Otherwise, I absolutely agree that if you must find her a new home, go a different route and look into the shelters and rescues near you.

I got my first two pigs at PetCo before I knew better, but my second pair at a local rescue and I have to be honest, I think Phantasm has been such a great addition to the group because her personality was so much more developed from being around other piggies in a good, healthy environment. She's brought out a lot of exciting traits in Harley, Ivy and even Brienne (who is still relatively new and a total scaredy cuy pig, so she's not as outgoing). But she was also more used to handling than the others were and that has made a world of difference in terms of how happy I am in caring for them.

Tiny pets

Cavy Slave
Hello Folks,
Boy, you've all got me thinking about taking her back to the breeder. Good news, though... the breeder has already found a home for her with someone you has a little female looking for a friend. That does my heart good. I will be adopting a little male mini yak. He almost has the same colorings.

Now... I need information on how to introduce a new guinea pig?? Any advise out there.

TP

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.