Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Biting New Piggy Nipping/Biting

southernfury

Cavy Slave
We just got a baby piggie for my son and our other female. Her name is Reeses, she is about 6 wks old. She is a cute lil thing, but u can't pick her up or hold her with out her nipping/biting use. She will bite at anything that is in her way...fingers, skin, shirts..ect..!! She hasn't drawn blood YET but she bites pretty hard. We have only had her for a week. She pretty much was a rescue because we got her from people that had 2 adults and 6 babies in a very small cage with no water for them and NOT proper care at all. I wish i could have taken them all. Anyways, she was never handled or really payed any attention too. Every day we let our females out for floor play...normally for 5 hrs or so. They have everything they need...and they love it..!! Reeses will jump, play and sing her lil head off...so i'm taking it that she likes it. But when we go to get her out of the cage she will start biting and tryin to jump out of our hands, she will do the same when we go to put her back up for the night. I will even try to sit with her in the floor and she will still try to nip/bite at everything.
Is this just a baby thing? Will she eventually grow out of it, cause it really hurts? How can we calm her down when we are carrying her? I have read a lot of the other post about biting, and i have tryed most of the solutions, but she is still nipping...!! Any ideas would be greatly welcomed. Thank Ya !!!

Thanks for the link..!! I pick up my piggies that way already..i make sure they are secure. But it doesn't matter how i hold Reeses, she still turns her head to nip/bite. She even will wedge her head between my fingers just to get loose. I am hoping this is just a young issue...cause our older piggy doesn't nip at all...even when she was younger. But Reeses nips like crazy.

Is she scratching herself a lot? Mites can make pigs really cranky. If she is, you'd need a vet visit, because pigs aren't supposed to be treated with ivermectin until they weigh about 350 grams.

If not, it may just be a socialization thing. Try picking her up in a box, then put her on your lap and feed her treats. They can be just part of her supper, or herbs like dill, basil and cilantro. As she gets used to your handling her and realizes that food is involved, she may stop the biting.

She doesn't scratch at all. She is a really hyper lil piggy, she will run, jump and squeak all the time. We tryed the blanket thing...if she sees any kind of opening, she will run for it. My son tried to hold her today, he was feeding her a cucumber for a bit...she would take a bite ( which she really likes)but then try to escape..!! We r goin to try to work with her daily, sense she is a young one. But i really hope she calms down on the nipping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.