Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Quarantine New piggy! And a Quarantine Question

• Thread starter GuineaPigGirl96
  • Start date

GuineaPigGirl96

Cavy Slave
My oldest guinea pig Molly passed away about two weeks ago :(. I have been looking on Kijiji for a friend for Penelope since then, and on the weekend I found someone who was giving a female away. Today, I got to pick her up! Her name is Zulu, she is all brown with some white patches, and she is long haired. Right now, she's in her pet store cage that came with her. She also came with some pet store treats and a mixed food, which I tossed out. I read about the three week quarantine period, but she looks very healthy, she didn't come from a pet store or shelter and she hasn't been around other guinea pigs. Do I still have to quarantine her for three weeks? I just don't like seeing her in that tiny cage. I wish I could have made a temporary C&C for her, but I am all out of grids and coroplast.

It's your decision. Quarantine is for the health of your old pig and of your pocketbook. If you're prepared to treat both of them for any illness or parasites that may come with the new one, you could put them together.

Obviously, not quarantining isn't usually as risky when you're not getting a pig from a pet store, shelter or breeder. I'd never even think of skipping quarantine from any of those three. From a private owner, I might consider it.

Thank you, I just wanted to know if it was extremely important. I wanted to have them together as soon as possible, because Penelope is a bit upset, and Zulu is in such a tiny cage.

I would agree with bpatters. It is completly up to you. I introduced my girls earlier but only after both got a clean bill of health from a vet. Good luck! I'm sure Penelope will be so happy to meet her new friend!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.