Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New Piggies and Questions

TabanMia

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I will be posting my official introduction on the introduction section once I upload the cute pigtures of my new little piggies! But until then, I have a couple of questions/concerns about my two new girls. First, a little background info! I found a lady on the internet who needed to get rid of 2 of her 3 month old piggies. She currently has 12 and these two were apart of an accidental litter and her landlord will not let her keep them. My boyfriend is planning to move in with me in two weeks and we have been talking about guinea pigs for a while. So after plenty of research and stumbling upon this woman's page, we thought it must be a sign! Anywho, I went to pick up the two girls and the woman ensured me that she had a cage that I could have (for free!:eek: ) to last me until I made my C&C cage in two weeks. I made the two hour drive to go and pick them up, and her ten year old son comes out to my car in the drive way with two piggies. No cage, no box, nothing. I asked the boy where his mom was and that she was supposed to give me a cage and he said she was sleeping and said just to give me the pigs. After talking to the boy, he made it clear I was NOT getting a cage and ran inside. SO, here I am, two hours away from home, with two little piggies and no where to put them. I put them on my lap and down the road to petsmart to buy a temporary 30" cage and assembled it in the petstore, bought food, bedding, hay, water, a couple of huts and then put them in the cage and went home. The pigs were fantastic! They would just sit on my lap down the road, they were very well behaved whenever I was walking around the petstore, it was great! So I get them home and they are in their new cage (which is too small for them and I feel awful! :( But this should hopefully be fine for 2 weeks I'm thinking until I can build their C&C cage?) and they are scared as could be. They just sit in the corner and run away everytime I try and pet them. Which is understandable. One of the piggies, Delilah, was the runt of the litter and is tiny compared to Daisy (the larger sister). Daisy has been nipping at Delilah like crazy and always makes Delilah squeak. Delilah usually stays on seperate sides of the cage and under the log while Daisy stays under the hut. I have had them for three days and took them out of their cage yesterday to play a little bit and give them some veggies. They did alright but were still so scared, especially Delilah. I did research and saw that younger guinea pigs that are siblings tend to fight as they get older, but I did not know if anyone had any experience with this. Also, I think that they may be bickering because of the small cage, which will be fixed when we have their new cage made in 2 weeks. Also, I had one more question! I have read that guinea pigs need extra vitamin C, I have heard many people say to put some in their water and many people say do not. Any opinions on this? If so, what kind of vitamin C do I put in their water?
Sorry for the extremely long post! But I just want to make sure that I can take care of these sweet sweet girls the best I can! Thank you!! I look forward to being apart of the family here :)

Welcome! So let's see...
1) Congrats on the new babies! Glad to see they've won your heart already!
2) What a rhymes with witch! Good thing you got those babies away from her horrid care.
3) Fighting is normal and should definitely subside when you increase the cage size. I've gone through a lot of fighting with my 4 boys and that most certainly helped me. However, don't be surprised if they never stop "nipping" "lunging at each other" and rumbling (or what ever the female piggies do to show dominance). This is how they play and keep the order in the cage. One pig will turn out more dominant over the other and don't assume it will be the older or larger one. My little chippy was the runt of his litter and now he runs the downstairs portion of my split cage (they live two and two).
4) Don't bother with the water drops. I can't remember the term but vitamin c is soluble in water I believe and therefore the piggies don't actually get anything out of it. Make sure their food has vitamin c in it and refer to the nutrition forum on here for a list of veggies high in vitamin c.
Good luck with your girls!

We're looking forward to pictures of these little guys.

If you can find the grids for the C&C cage, go ahead and get those and just zip-tie some of them together to make them a larger area. You can attach them to the small cage and leave its door open so they can come and go -- just put something down on the door for a floor to the ramp. And be sure that no other animals or small children in the house can get to them. Put some shoeboxes or step stools out as hideys so they have something to protect them from your house eagles. ;)

If they're squabbling now, I'd make either the extension I just described, or a full C&C cage, a top priority. They may do nothing more than bicker, but they can do extensive damage to each other in two weeks' time. Better to be safe than sorry.

Guinea pigs with an adequate pellet and veggie diet do not need extra vitamin C. It won't hurt them, unless you waaayy overdose them, but it won't help them either.

You never put vitamin C in a water bottle -- the only time you put it in water would be if you had to crush a vitamin C table to use and were going to dissolve it and then give it to them with a syringe or a dropper. Vitamin C loses its potency almost immediately after it's dissolved in water, and also alters the taste of the water, which may make pigs drink less.

Thank you both soo much! The woman that I got them from said to make sure and put the vitamin C in the water, but after reading more into it, I didn't think that that sounded necessary. I am thankful to have a forum like this one to get fantastic ideas from and help me along the way! I hate the cage that they are in now and cannot wait to expand to a C&C cage. Perhaps I will get the boyfriend on it a little early ;) How long did it take for your piggies to settle in and get used to you?

I've had a total of 7 piggies over the past several years. Some warmed up to me the instant they got home, some I've had for 2 years and still aren't my biggest fan. Spend as much time with them as possible. What I did with my 4 current babies is I would "piggy proof" my room and let them run free as I sat on the floor by a pile of hay. I would do my hw and be natural, and eventually they would come and check out the hay and me as well. Be gentle and move slowly. They will eventually realize you're not going to hurt them and they will recognize you are the one who feeds them, cleans their cage and gives them the love and affection they need.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.