Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat New piggie wont eat 1 week old?

Chikochikka

Cavy Slave
my new piggie is 1 week old. i got her from the pet shop she was the only one left and she was rejected from her mum so i bought her with guinea pig food which is why i went in in the fist place. she has already escaped 6 times from her cage and got attacked from my other two who she thought was her mum. since i had her 24 hours i havent seen her eat or drink even when i go to bed and leave her for at least 9 hours. i have her on my lap alot as im scared she might escape again
how do i feed her help please

she should be eating by now, is she getting hay and veggies? Did you try to do introductions with the other two pigs? Perhaps they can help show her what she can eat. Try to hand feed her. Have you been weighing her?

If she's not eating, you need to handfeed her every 3-4 hours & take her to a vet asap. As you must know by now, pet store pigs are often sick.
https://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html
Also read through the rest of guinea lynx for information on symptoms & treatments.

As you didn't quarantine properly(?) & housed her close to your other pigs, there is no reason not to introduce them (on a neutral, scent free new area) once she's been to a vet if she's healthy. If she's sick, keep a very close eye on your other pigs as you might end up with them all ill, make sure you have a large enough vet fund if this is the case.

How did she escape? Did you babyproof the cage to keep her safe? If she's climbing out, you need a lid. As she's a baby, you need much taller sides to prevent her slipping through the holes or getting caught which can be lethal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.