Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding new piggie is TERRIFIED!

kittymalone

Cavy Slave
I adopted a baby guinea pig from Craigslist 3 weeks ago, named Violet. She is 11 weeks old now and I introduced her to my girls 2 nights ago. It went well. The other girls were curious but, for the most part oblivious to her. The whole time, Violet was TERRIFIED (frozen and running away from them). I cleaned the cage top to bottom and they are now all together. Sophie and Isabelle aren't bullying Violet at all but every time they get anywhere near her, she squeaks in fear and runs away. I have not seen her eat or drink anything (I put food and water near her hidng spot, too). I will be buying a scale today but, in the meantime, should I seperate my 3x7 cage into a 2x3 for her so that I can moniter her alone? There is poop and pee in her selected hiding spot. Should I be worried that she's not eating if I see that she's eliminating? I feel so bad for her, she is so scared!

I wouldn't be too concerned; I'm sure she is eating when you aren't around. I would monitor weight to be certain, but do not separate, it will only stress everyone out and be worse for Violet because she will have to go through proper introductions again. It sounds like she is just a wimpy, uncertain pig who will probably blossom around her new friends shortly.

Thought I'd update: Violet is eating! I caught her today at the pellet bowl. Still haven't seen her touch any veggies but at least she's eating! @SurfingPigs: Thanks for the advice!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.