Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other New Pet?

Slipperytofu

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, lately I've been thinking a lot about having a new addition to my family. What type of pets do you recommend? I would really like something that likes human interaction, and not too smelly. I'm thinking about maybe rats? I also would like to keep him/her in the piggie room, so no diseases that could spread to piggies. Any ideas?

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
A male syrian hamster can be lots of fun. Relatively low maintenance but just like guinea pigs, you need a much larger cage than pets stores will try to sell you. A 30 gal aquarium w/ mesh lid is good. They are definitely solitary though, don't get 2!
Some are more nocturnal but mine was always awake in the mornings and evenings and enjoyed being held. We've had 3 over the years and they are really fun.
Females go in heat each week and "may" smell just FYI.

Slipperytofu

Cavy Slave
My only problem is that I've had a lot of loss lately, and i dont deal well with it, so the short life span scares me a bit lol.

Gforcepiggies

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I would say Rats. They are fun, and like being held, not stinky, or mine Thoran and Ingavar aren't. They are in the same room as the pigs, and no one has gotten sick. They live for a while, and seem to be nice! I love mine. Hope that helps! :)

RubyRain

Cavy Slave
My only problem is that I've had a lot of loss lately, and i dont deal well with it, so the short life span scares me a bit lol.

I hear ya there! I've had some hamsters that have lived about a year and half and some just a few weeks :( They can be rather fragile, esp when I keep adopting them from shelters or CL and not sure of their health.

But they are so dang cute, I keep getting them in hopes of giving them a good life, even if it's short.

Mr.Waffles101

Cavy Slave
I would also say rats. C: I would say ferrets too, but some ferrets are a little stinky and they need to be bathed every-so-often. And ferrets should also be fixed.
Other than the smell, they are bundles of fun! They never tire out. Like literally, NEVER.

mmas4

Cavy Slave
I also would say rats or ferrets. Both love human interaction and are not too smelly (with proper care). Ferrets live longer. Around 6-8 years.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Ferrets sleep most of the time. It's the time they are awake that they are running all over the place. Ferrets don't particularly like to be held or cuddled--they are so active and inquisitive they are always on the move. Ferrets have a short life span compared to guinea pigs--5 years is the average. Ferrets are carnivores so their poop is pretty smelly and the litter box must be changed often. Ferrets almost always develop health problems--adrenal disease and tumors, lymphoma, etc.

Rats don't take up as much space as ferrets, but their life span is shorter. Ours lived around 3 years on average. They love human interaction if you handle them a lot, but if you don't they aren't so happy about being held. They are extremely messy. They don't use a litter box. They are prone to respiratory infections and tumors (especially mammary tumors, and they have a lot of nipples so possibly multiple tumors).

Just like guinea pigs, there are down sides to any pet that you are considering. Research carefully.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.