Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New owner with a gender question!

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
. Image Image Image Image
hello! I have three New Guinea pigs. Charlie (black, brown, and white) and Blu (black and white) were together when I got them 2 months ago and are great with each other. They are both definite males. Sammy is my newest member (brown and white). He has not been introduced to my other two yet. I've had him for over a month but am worried he may have mites and have been treating him for them effectively. He also has a vet appointment on Monday to ensure he's fine since he was making a weird noise earlier and scared me.. Anyways, I noticed that sometimes his sides seem to be pulsing and from looking it up, all I can find is that he could be pregnant.. Making him a her. I never checked to ensure his sex because (it may be stupid) but to me he is an obvious male. I think he has clear testicles from looking at te back of him. I don't want to check, as his is really uncomfortable due to the mites, but can someone help me determine if what I am seeing is testicles if I can get a few pictures? Thanks.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
I don't know.. He still seems to really hate being held. I hope he's not just an aggressive guinea pig.. :sad: But he is still itching a lot. Let me upload a few pictures and if need be ill try to pick him up and make him comfortable.

Attachments

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How are you treating him for the mites?

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Topical ivermectin. I've already used it twice, 7 days apart.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
What strength? And how much? Because if you've already done two treatments, you should be seeing a good bit of improvement.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
It's this kind that I've seen people link to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JAL3AAW/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/187-0199267-4627444

Basically I convinced myself that he could have mites (I used to go back and forth everyday), and can't find a vet in my area that doesn't charge waaaaaay too much for a guinea pig. So I did my research, found this stuff, went to my pharmacy and got a 1 ml syringe, weighed him, he weighed 15.9 ounces I can't remember of the top of my head but I believe it came out to about 0.045 of ivermectin which was about a drop behind his ear. But he never really seemed to improve too much and I think he might be worse now. I did read that they sometimes get worse as the mites are dying off but it's been too long. So after he made a noise today that sounded like a duck quacking, I gave up and immediately called the vet. Since his eyes aren't crusty and his nose doesn't appear to be runny, she said it could wait til Monday morning.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That stuff should work. So after two treatments, I doubt that it's the mites giving him so much trouble that he doesn't want to be touched. Some pigs just don't like it, but they'll survive, and you do need to figure out what s/he is.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Ikay, thank you! I guess I'll just need to wait for the vet to figure him out.
Also, I've noticed once I put him in this giant c&c cage by himself that he seems to be possibly rumblestrutting everywhere all the time. He has a cat bed on the loft and he goes underneath it and makes that "purring noise." And he drags his butt everywhere. Are these signs that he may be more aggressive or have problems with my other two?

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Are the other pigs near him? When he drags his butt on the ground he is spreading his scent on the fleece. He could be dragging his butt and purring because he smells the other pigs on the fleece. If the fleece has any smell from the other pigs on it, he will get nervous and territorial because he smells the pigs, but they aren't there.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Yeah that's the thing. He's nowhere near the other ones. Theres no way he smells or hears them. The cage is brand new as well as all the fleece and toys. But he does this constantly. He does the cat bed thing probably 10 times a day.

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
They have better hearing than us, maybe he hears them. ? I guess you'll just have to wait until you introduce them.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
But they aren't even in the same house right now. Ugh I don't know. I hope it works out..

PeanutnCookie

Cavy Slave
Oh, wow. Guinea pigs aren't usually aggressive toward humans, they are more scared, and since they are prey animals, they will run, not fight back. Before you got him, was he with any other guinea pigs? Maybe he's not used to being alone and is trying to "contact" another guinea pig. I really don't know since I have't experienced this before.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
No, he wasn't. And he's only 2-3 months old. Hopefully the vet can give some insight. The really upsetting part is that hell even bite me really hard if I'm not even touching him. I'll put my hand in the cage to let him smell me and he nibbles a little and then bites hard.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
He's a baby, and he's testing you like all babies will. Just say "NO" firmly when he bites, and move your hand away. And make sure your hand doesn't smell like food.

It would be even better if you offer him treats when you put your hand in the cage. He's not really interested in being petted, he's interested in food.

And be patient. It takes a long time to tame them.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Okay, thank you. He loves peppers so I try to give him a piece by hand when I come sit with him.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, just got back from the vet. He prescribed oral ivermectin, metacam (he has swelling in his ear from scratching), and a soother cream. Sammy did really well. However, I have another question. The vet said he was "worried" about his voice and said he had the lowest volume to his wheeks that he had ever heard. He was concerned about a possible issue with his voice box and said to keep an eye on it. Does anyone have experience with this? He is constantly squeaking really quietly I just never thought anything of it.

jaymemichelle

Cavy Slave
Also here is a picture of him being overly dramatic about his nails :)

Attachments

image.jpg

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have one that squeaks quietly 98% of the time, but can let out the most ear-splitting shriek if she's really hungry. I wouldn't worry about it at all.