Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New owner - sounds

thlibo

Cavy Slave
Hello all, I am a new owner, and I had some questions/concerns about the sounds my piggie makes.

My piggie is a 6 week old boy. He is very friendly and seems content to be held. When I put him in my lap he sits quietly, but when i pet his back legs he starts to make this noise that sounds like a kid jumping on a spring cot (err-eh err-eh err-eh). If I keep it up he gets excited and starts moving all around and sniffing and looking at stuff.

Same behaviour if I put him on the floor, he will run to a corner, or sit there, but if i pet his back, he starts squeaking, and will start looking around. If I continue his back legs start twitching.

Would you guess he likes being pet on his back legs, or am I traumatizing him?

Seems like he doesn't like when you're rubbing him on his back.

If they like what you're doing when you're petting them, they'll be relaxed. their body will be nice and limp, they may rest their head down, and perhaps their legs will be stretched out.

Anything like tensing their body, standing up tall, bucking their back end, turning their head round and squealing is a good indicator they're not enjoying what you're doing.

Just keep your strokes nice and gentle, and when he starts squeaking or turning just ease off. You'll soon find out what he likes.

He may enjoy floor time a bit more if he had a buddy https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm - you really can' do anything better for a pig than let it have a friend.

chirp

If they quietly chirp while you are stroking them, but are still relaxed, is that a happy chirp? Or a get-off-me chirp?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.