Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New Owner and confused

mommykingx3

Cavy Slave
I have a couple more questions...

I thought piggies only pooped in one spot? Mine are doing it everywhere mostly where they eat?! EEEW! Will this make them sick? It is so much I have to change the bedding twice a day!!Fleece,small rugs,towels) Their kitchen is upstairs so at least they don't run through it but I was wondering if there was a way to stop this or redirect the poop shoots. lol I know their cage is to small but so are they. The baby one fits through the squares right now and my supplies and money are very limited so I decided to add on slowly as she grows so I don't have to baby proof everything!! Was this the wrong decision? I have been studying a lot of cages and drawing up plans so I can make their condo into palace but it will be a slow process, I thought I would gather all the supplies and (instead of changing it a little bit at a time) and just expand and relocate all in one day so as to reduce stress.

And should my girls sleep together? They have been together about two weeks now and both came from herds so I figured they would bond better. They eat fine and I hear them running about at night and they sound happy, but when I am having lap time Lucy, the one I estimate is a few months old, nips at my little one Molly who is about 5 weeks old. She makes it squeal, and my fingers have been in the way and the nips are not hard at all, but Molly seems a bit dramatic. lol I have noticed Lucy will run Molly out of the box she likes and other times they are together? Is all this normal? Do I need to change something?

Welcome to the wonderful world of piggies! In theory some people are able to train their piggies to use one spot and use a box. In practice, they mostly go where they want, and as you have learned it's often where they eat.

Mine like to use the corners of their cage, as well as the area where they eat their hay. Yours will probably have some favored spots as they settle in. Many people here who use felt cages use a little "little box" by the hay since their pigs like to potty while they're eating, which makes spot cleaning much easier.

What kind of bedding are you using? I don't have my permanent cage yet (have a boy who needs to be neutered before he can be in with his cagemate), so I'm using Carefresh. I put newspaper under it, which catches a lot of the pee and conserves bedding. I spot clean daily, which keeps away the odor. On felt, you can sweep up the poops very easily.

My bedding is mostly fleece but I found some cheap small cloth rugs that work very well, And easy to sweep. I think the biggest problem is that the kitchen is just way to small, the whole cage is, so I was thinking, I can't really expand but I could maybe add a small bridge and add another room and have to kitchens that would allow them room to poop in one spot and have their food in another. I need more cubes!! "sigh"

"I can't really expand but I could maybe add a small bridge and add another room and have to kitchens that would allow them room to poop in one spot and have their food in another."

If that's going to make the space smaller, I wouldn't bother. They'll just continue going where there food is any way. A lot of people's piggies go where they eat, and piggies have to eat some of their own poopies any way. Some of the nutrients their body needs doesn't take until the second time through. :D

Why are you taking the fleece out twice a day? Unless it's sopping wet, all you have to do is brush up the poopies with a dustpan and small brush. Also, even if you can't get your piggies to poop in their litter box, you may still be able to get them to pee in it if you move something that has their urine on it into the litter box. Someone I know of wasn't able to completely train her piggies, but she managed to get them to at least pee in it by moving bits of bedding (she wasn't using fleece at the time) into their litter box and cleaning up the other areas.

I see no reason to separate your piggies. It sounds like the one piggy is just telling the other who's boss. Unless there's blood loss, there's no need to separate the piggies. Every thing the piggies are doing is absolutely normal. Just let them be to work out their differences. The time to worry is when there has been blood loss.

The only thing that raises my eyebrow is how often you're changing the fleece. Most people don't do that more than once or twice a week. The rest of the time they're sweeping/vacuuming it up a couple of times a day. Unless the bedding is soaked, there should be no need for any thing more or less. :)

In the kitchen it is very wet cause they are peeing too! I changed it last night and this morning it was just awful so I did it again. But downstairs I only have to once a week cause I can just sweep up.

Oh that. The trick people use for that is to lay down a small towel in the place where they pee the most. Then they can remove those when they're wet. Where are the water bottles? They might be contributing to the problem as well. Are you sure you don't have leaking bottles?

(In case you notice me saying, "other people" a lot, it's because I'm a parrot. Squawk! :D I'm underprivileged and don't have my piggies yet, but hope to be getting them within the next few months. I pass on information as I can, but I'm just repeating what I've learned. Hence the self-proclaimed "title" of Parrot. :D)

when I am having lap time Lucy, the one I estimate is a few months old, nips at my little one Molly who is about 5 weeks old. She makes it squeal, and my fingers have been in the way and the nips are not hard at all, but Molly seems a bit dramatic.

I have some drama queens, too. It sounds like one is jealous of the other. I would just give lap time separately.

And should my girls sleep together?

They don't have to sleep together, either. Some do, and some don't. Some only sleep together when they feel sick or frightened. It's up to them.

Over all, it sounds like normal behavior, and nothing to worry about.

I have another problem! I just went and checked on them and gave them a little squeeze and I noticed Lucy's nipples are showing where they weren't before? And she hates when anyone touches her belly. Is it possible that Petco messed up? They said that only females where in the cage but I am starting to wonder?!

And no, the water bottle is down stairs so they have to go down the ramp for a drink. Otherwise They would never leave the kitchen lol

I don't know the signs of pregnancy on a piggy, but it's common for pet stores to mess up on gender. Don't take their word for any thing! I would take your piggies to the vet to give them a general wellness exam (just a precaution) and make sure you have two girls and that one of them is not pregnant. Ask the vet any questions you may have including what the signs of pregnancy are in a piggy and, if she is pregnant, what your role in all of that would be. Here's hoping your piggy isn't pregnant and, if she is, that she'll have a successful delivery!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.