Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Member with Questions!

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have been thinking of getting a Guinea Pig from a rescue/craigslist for a few months now, and I thought it would be a good idea to join if I had any questions! I have had 2 Degus and a Hedgehog in the past as well as many many birds (My mom was involved in a parrot rescue FFARRA). The cage I had for my Hedgehog was 8 sq feet, which I still have with many fleece blankets that are cut to it's size. I can buy a C&C cage, although it would be easier (and cheaper) to continue using the one I have now. Do you think that it will be acceptable for a single Guinea Pig? Or will it be acceptable to keep him/her in there for a few months? (for the record I'll be finding a loner piggy). One other question I have is about their poop... When I had birds and the Hedgehog I could deal with how much they pooped, and there was alloooottt of poop.. But the Degus were little evil poopers. I would have them out for 5 minutes and there would be poop and pee all over!!! Sooo do they poop like that? It just made having them out of their cage a nuisance instead of a something I would be looking forward to, because I couldn't even have them on my lap without getting covered in feces. Anywaaayyss, thanks for any help in advance!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Hello, I have been thinking of getting a Guinea Pig from a rescue/craigslist for a few months now, and I thought it would be a good idea to join if I had any questions!
Good idea looking to rescue and Craigslist for guinea pigs. You can check out petfinder.com to find more shelters and rescues in your area as well.

The cage I had for my Hedgehog was 8 sq feet, which I still have with many fleece blankets that are cut to it's size. I can buy a C&C cage, although it would be easier (and cheaper) to continue using the one I have now.
A C&C cage is definitely the way to go. It's very inexpensive to build. A box of grids at Bed, Bath & Beyond is around $20. A C&C cage allows much more room than a store bought cage. It's easier to clean and it will smell less.

As for your cage being 8 sq ft, I wouldn't be too sure. Most dimensions on cages include the outside lip rather than simply the living space of the critter.

Do you think that it will be acceptable for a single Guinea Pig? Or will it be acceptable to keep him/her in there for a few months?
Guinea pigs are social critters and thrive in groups. So it would be better/healthier for the pig to have at least two.

Sooo do they poop like that? It just made having them out of their cage a nuisance instead of a something I would be looking forward to, because I couldn't even have them on my lap without getting covered in feces. Anywaaayyss, thanks for any help in advance!
Guinea pig poop is a little like hamster or mouse poo in that it is solid pellets rather than loose liquidy gunk poop. They can definitely go more than 5 minutes without pooping but I would suggest having a towel on your lap while a pig is there, because although the poo is no big deal, the pee is something. Most of the time, but not always, they give signals that they are preparing to poo and/or pee so you just have to know what to look for.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Welcome.

Yes, it would be better to adopt a pair. Can you post a photo of your cage, so we can see if it will work?

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
Thats the cage with a few things in it, keep in mind that it looks smaller than it actually is. The hut in there is a large. This is the cage I have been looking at ordering: Guinea Pig Cages Store I know that two should be homed together, and if I cannot find a loner pig I will make sure to adopt two little girls.

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I have a cage that looks a bit like that (but different though)what I use for the quarantine time for the rescue..
If you can order a c&c cage then I'd get one; It's great because if at some point you want to make it bigger then you can messily do that.

Just wandering, why are you ruling out adopting two boys?

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
Yeah I most likey will order the C&C cage on the site, maybe one a bit bigger than that, and I ruled out two boys because i've heard that males can be a bit more aggressive towards each other.

CandyApple

Cavy Slave
Oh, That... yes, that's a total myth.
Boars are as gentle as sows. If you see two boars you like... So for it, but keep in mind they need a little more space than sows as they like to get away from each other once in a while :)

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Males and females can both be aggressive to other pigs, I wouldn't rule out males. What size c&c cage would you plan to get?
It all depends on the pigs personality not the gender and sometimes depending on the pig the cage size matters.

I have a trio of males, but before I introduced the third guy and before I had found this site I had them living in the cage that looks a bit like yours...they got on fine as one boy was dominate and the other is submissive and then the third guy I introduced is also submissive.
There are less arguments with my boys then there are with my (neutered) male and two females trio because the girls get extra moody when they're in heat.

I wouldn't worry too much about gender, just adopt the piggies that pick you. (;

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
I ruled out two boys because i've heard that males can be a bit more aggressive towards each other.

It's a common misconception. I've had 11 males over the last 7 years and have never had a problem with them getting along.

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't rule out a male pair either!

Definitely go for a pair. Very few pigs get along with no one else.

_Cass_

Cavy Slave
Oh okay well that's good to know! It's interesting how some "information" sites will give you false information on how to care for a Guinea Pig, or won't check to see if their information is correct.

This is the cage that I have been thinking of ordering:XL (2x5 Grids) / Narrow Loft - Deluxe Cages - C&C Cages for Guinea Pigs
It's the 2X5 grid with the loft thats 1X2.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.