Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Member trying to build cage

sheryl

Cavy Slave
Hi:

I got some 'slip sheet' from a warehouse that's used on pallets. It's black flimsy plastic that I rolled up to take home. Is this coroplast, or something different? Will it work for a cage?

Thanks.

It doesn't sound like it to me. You can't roll up coroplast - it's a thick corrugated plastic which holds its shape - that's how you make the bottoms of the cages (which are boxes) from it. It's the stuff 'For Sale' signs are made from.

I don't think what you have would work for a cage, as the guinea pigs would just chew it, which would be dangerous for them, and would also make a pretty flimsy cage. Hard to keep clean, and if they do have a chew and make holes, it would quickly become very messy.

Look at the sources at the bottom of this page https://guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm and try the 'Find Materials' function on the left navigation to see if someone has posted a source near to you. Hopefully you'll be able to find some relatively easily - it's definitely worth doing it properly as you'll have a safe cage that will last.

If I remember correctly, I think Teresa said something about rolling coroplast...
Teresa?

It sounds like Coroplast. You can only roll it in about 18" - 24" diameter rolls without bending it.

It was the description of it being 'flimsy' and the fact it's used to cover pallets in warehouses that make me think it's not coroplast. The stuff I've seen used in warehouses is just thick and strong plastic sheeting that is soft and can be pulled securely over any size pallet, in the same way cloth could.

I guess you can get different types though, I'm not a warehouse expert!

I just know that a fair number of warehouses actually do use black Coroplast to put over the pallets and under the boxes of merchandise. Flimsy is relative. I suppose Coroplast could be described as flimsy. But, definitely to roll it up requires a very wide roll.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.