Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions New mate for old boy

itsjustmeuc

Cavy Slave
Hi guys,

I have a 5 and a half year old boy who has just lost his mate, also a boy. I need to get him a pal so he's not lonely. I don't want a girl, I don't want babies!.

What is the best way to introduce a new boy or boys? I was thinking of getting a couple young guys, so when Stanley passes on the guys left behind is not on his own.

My cage is a 6 x 4 C&C cage

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I think most people will tell you 2 males together can work well, but more than 2 will likely become a fight club. Also, a young boy who will go through adolescence may not be the best for an older guy. When the young one hits his teens and the hormones kick in, he could become a bully, making the older guy miserable. I would look for a male that is older, maybe around 2. And it would be nice if there was a rescue that would work with you on a meet and greet to get a feel for how they react to each other.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can't put three males together -- it fails 99.9% of the time.

If you can find a local rescue or shelter that will let you bring him in, it would be best to let him pick out his new buddy. Or maybe you could find a spayed female -- that pairing would almost certainly work.

itsjustmeuc

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys noted that three males won't work. I will check out a shelter and see how I go

Thanks so much

itsjustmeuc

Cavy Slave
If I am not able to find a suitable mate what is the best way to keep him happy on his own in the meantime?

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Mental stimulation helps. I have always moved the hideys and rearranged the cage each day because guinea pigs memorize escape routes. So mine will walk through all the possible combinations of escape, and then take a run.

I also have a snuffle mat which is a piece of fleece with fringes sewn on top. I hide veggies in it and she has to forage for them. I put pellets in treat balls so she has to walk around and roll the ball. And I’m home all day so I’m talking to her, giving her a treat, and we have a little snuggle time a few times each day.

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
I've had good experiences pairing my older boars with younger boars. My eldest (estimated to be 6 or 7) was paired with a 2 yr old and they did great together. When my old boar died, I then got a baby for the now-3 yr old. It's easiest if you can find a shelter that will let you do a meet and greet, or a guinea pig rescue that does boar dating. I've done both, but with the shelter they wanted me out so I did a short experiment to see how the two would react and then finished bonding at home.

I know nothing about Australia, but I'm sure there's plenty of gpigs in shelters there just like in the USA so finding a friend should be easy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.