Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions New Male Guinea Pig Introduction

momothepiggie

Cavy Gazer
Hi everyone! I previously had one male guinea pig who is about a few months old now, his name is Momo. I now know that guinea pigs are social animals (when I was looking into getting one I asked a friend about care and they said single guinea pigs are okay, should have done my own research!) so I decided to adopt a new guinea pig, his name is Zuko and he is about 7 weeks I believe. I've kept them in separate cages for now to allow my new piggy to get used to his environment and to allow him to get used to me. I adopted him from a place that kept him in a very small cage it made me so sad.

Today, I decided to try to introduce them during floor time. My Momo was very excited! He didn't make any rumbling noises and just kept pop corning. Now Zuko, he was rumbling the whole time and would calm down on occasion to just make some normal piggie noises that were him being calm. They chased each other around for a bit but it was nothing. About five minutes into it, Zuko started teeth chattering and they would circle around each other bopping noses really fast. This made me nervous every time they did that and would push them away to cool off. This happened a number of times until Zuko kept teeth chatter, and Momo still didn't make any aggressive noises.

Momo is such a mommas boy and kept running over to me and trying to get me to pick him up so eventually I gave in!! I know you're supposed to let it play out but my heart couldn't do it. After I removed Momo, Zuko kept wheeking.

Any advice you all could give would be wonderful! Also, Zuko seems to be very chill and not very interactive, I haven't seen him popcorn once or even run around and play very much and was worried how he was treated by the previous owners I had received him from. So I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, or maybe he just has a temperament anyway!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.