Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New little piggies.

House Whisperer

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, thank you for letting me join your board. I just got my first two guinea pigs a week ago. They are both girls, not related. One is about 7 mos and one is about 3 months. They are super cute but boy are they messy. They poop a lot and eat a lot. I feed them two salads a day with some crushed vit c on it, fill there hay bin with timothy hey and their bowl with pellets. They are both very scared still. Any advise to get them to trust us sooner? Thanks!

Just be patient and keep handing out the food -- they'll eventually settle down. Hand feeding them is great. Shoo them into a shoe box with the ends cut out and catch them that way rather than chasing them down with your hands -- it's much less stressful for them.

Look in the photo galleries for pictures of kitchens -- those will catch a lot of the poop and pee.

And just as a word of caution -- 1/4 cup of pellets per day is really the max that they need. You don't want them to get used to eating too many pellets, as they're the least important part of their diets.

Welcome! Yep, that's basically what piggies do, eat, sleep, and poop. xD It's going to take a lot of time for them to warm up to you. In the wild, they are at the bottom of the food chain, and everything looks at them like "Oh a snack!" So to them, we just look like a hungry wolf or hawk. Try talking to them, so that they are used to your voice. It's kinda hard to think of something to talk to a guinea pig about, so try reading a book out load. This will get them used to your voice. Also a way to a piggies heart is threw there stomach, so hand feeding is a good way to get them to like you. Also make sure you have patience. They are not going to suddenly become your best friends over night, it's going to be little baby steps. Good luck :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.