Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here

Katie Melton

Cavy Slave
Hi I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. This forum looks great!

I used to have two guinea pigs but one died about a week ago, which was the younger of the two. she was almost six years old, healthy and everything. But now Im worried about the one thats left, snickers, because she was so sad and seemed very lonely and depressed the first three days after. She has been eating and drinking very readily. I've been taking her out to play every day and it seems to have helped but I really think she needs a new friend. I would like to get another adult female, thoughts on this? I would really like some advice because I dont know what to do in this situation!:eek:hmy:

Hi and welcome to the forum. Something similar happened to me with my two piggies and I went and got more piggies after the one sadly passed away. I am glad I did because she now seems so much happier with other piggies around to keep her company she seemed really depressed when my other piggy died. I think she would be happy with a new friend, do you no about introducing new piggies and quarantining the new one first to make sure the piggy does not have any illnesses. I will try and post a link to a thread about that soon. I think getting another piggy is a good idea however just to make sure I would wait for someone more experienced than me about piggies to reply to make sure.

I haven't had a piggy long enough yet for one to die but from everyone elses experience it seems like once they got a new friend their pig was back to its oldself. I also believe sooner is better than later. Sorry for your loss and good luck!

Thank you so much for the help! And yes my family got Snickers for my old guinea pig Peggy and we kept her in a seperate cage until we introduced them. And then we got Bubbles when Peggy died and now Bubbles died so I really want to get Snickers a new friend. She loved to socialize but now she cant. I will be posting my progress!

Hi I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. This forum looks great!

I used to have two guinea pigs but one died about a week ago, which was the younger of the two. she was almost six years old, healthy and everything. But now Im worried about the one thats left, snickers, because she was so sad and seemed very lonely and depressed the first three days after. She has been eating and drinking very readily. I've been taking her out to play every day and it seems to have helped but I really think she needs a new friend. I would like to get another adult female, thoughts on this? I would really like some advice because I dont know what to do in this situation!:eek:hmy:

Katie, welcome. I'm really sorry for your loss. Do you have a rescue near you where you can take Snickers to let her select a friend? You don't necessarily need to get an older one, though. A lot of compatibility has to do with personalities. Was Snickers or your other one the dominant one? The way they interacted will tell you a lot about Snicker's personality. I'd make the selection on personality and how they interact rather than on age.

I believe snickers was the dominant one, Because bubbles always seemed so frail and skittish. Snickers was more adventurous and lively. They got along most of the time, exept every so often they would steal each other food. I think somebody who would play with her but still submit to her authority would be perfect, but I know thats probably hard to find.

As for rescues, there is an animal rescue thats about 30 minutes away but they mostly do dogs and cats. I can check their website though and see if they have any guinea pigs

(broken link removed)hey do have a guinea pig for rescue, but he's a boy ): I suppose i could get him neautered? Opinions?

(broken link removed)

Katie, it will depend on that pig's age as to whether he can be neutered. I think most vets wait until they're several months old before neutering.

Just be patient, one that's right for you will show up sooner or later.

Also, contact rescues in your general area but that aren't necessarily close to you. Most rescues are just a bunch of foster homes, rather than being located in one building. A rescue a hundred miles from you may have a pig available in your home town.

Thank you so much! Im not sure whether or not he is already neutered, but I will be checking the website every day to see if anything has popped up. I guess I'll just have to wait and see!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.