Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New here! Guinea pig problem :(

We have two small animal vets near us. One charges an arm and a leg and isnt very knowledgable about guinea pigs. He specializes more in birds. The other,fortunately, is outstanding. An exam is about $40 and if they need meds its more so it costs about 80 to take them both for a routine check but its worth it.

I just gave the guinea pigs some medicine. It was my first time so it was really difficult for me. My girlfriend has been giving them the medicine but only twice now and today was her third. The baytrol i believe or the cherry red stuff we have is easier and the paste is 10 times harder. Is there any advice I could get about how to make this experience easier? It is not easy to do it. Feels like it took 20 minutes. One is extremely scared always but the other isn't as bad. Any advice would help. We do wrap them though. Even though they might not like it I don't care as long as they get better. I love the two cuties. I am worried if I'm hurting them because they make the noises that they're scared and they push away but we have to do it. Will still like me? Will they forget the experience? Thank you :)

And I really am sorry about Patch. I read around and I saw the thread. It was a beautiful poem. I am truly sorry though. Giving medicine to them breaks my heart so I can only imagine how you felt.

Shawn,

I just lost one of my piggies (Patch) tonight due to URI. He (Patch) exhibited signs of illness early Saturday and unfortunately, the only exotic vet in my area was't open during the holidays. I was able to get him to vets today since they reopened, and within hours of arriving home after the visit, a dose of Baytril, and rehydration, he passed away in my arms. Needless to say, I was torn because it seems as though he got totally worse after the visit and the medication. I'm not sure, but I think he may have also had a stroke considering his posture deterriorated almost too quickly as he was leaning up against his carrier trying to hold himself up prior to his passing.

I wish your pigs a quick recovery and hope you have better luck than I did. Never underestimate the severity of any symptoms these little wonderful creatures exhibit. At whatever cost, seek immediate care at the vets because they go downhill fast.

Here's a good reference site to bookmark in addition to this wonderful forum. https://www.guinealynx.info

I'm so sorry about Patch....

Gosh. Guinea pigs are a lot of maintenance. Now we have got to get a much bigger cage before they get too much bigger. I read up on guinealynx. I was suggested that site when I went to my vet. Thank you for the link :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.