Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea Pig

NewGPOwner

Cavy Slave
I just got a new Guinea Pig and it's now in it's new cage and is quiet and I'm not quite sure if it will eat or drink, I showed it the food when I poured it in there but yet it still sits in it's igloo. Anyone have any suggestions?

Where did you get your guinea pig?

They are probably scared and lonely. They are prey animals by nature and need time to settle in. What type of cage do you have? C&C? If it is a pet store cge, it's probably too small. Not much they can do in it.

What are you feeding? Just pellets? Is it the kind they are used to?

They need hay and veggies too by the way.

You should read this over if you hadn't already: https://www.guinealynx.info/healthycavy.html

I got her from a friend and she seems to be moving around now, I got her a medium sized cage. But she's still not for sure about the food.

If she seems healthy, she might just be nervous. You can try to entice her with some romaine lettuce or a tiny bit of fruit that's safe for guinea pigs. Or maybe some yummy hay. Give her some to settle down, though. Once everything is quiet she'll start to explore her new cage a little bit and she'll be sure to try some food.

I will go ahead and feed her some lettuce from the fridge. Thanks.

Let us know how the lettucing goes. Make sure you let the lettuce warm up a little before you give it to her!

I hand feed her the lettuce and put the rest that she didn't eat in her bowl. She seems to be doing pretty good for now.

Is the 'medium sized cage' a petstore cage?

Yep. It's a petstore bought cage. She's used to living in those kind of cages because when I got her that's what she was in.

Hi and welcome. First, don't be too concerned about her not being very social yet, it just takes time. Second, a larger cage will help bring out her personality. At least 7.5 square feet for one pig. She will also need lots of hay and fresh veggies. A friend will help quite a bit also. Remember that Guinea pigs are very social animals. I know that 7.5 square feet sounds really big, ( I thought that at first too.) but it is actually not that big. It is like 2.5 feet by 3 feet. Before you know it, she will be popcorning all over the place. Good luck with your new addition, and again, welcome. I know you will find a lot of helpful information here.

First thing you need to do is build her a C&C cage. (www.guineapigcages.com) Preferably a 2x4 or bigger.

What kind of pellets are you feeding her? Mixes with seeds, nuts, and colored bits are VERY unhealthy and can cause pigs to choke to death. We recommend Oxbow foods ((broken link removed)) Unlimited Cavy Cuisine for over six months of age, 1/8 to 1/4 cup of Cavy Performance for under.

How old is your pig? If she is under six months she needs an unlimited supply of alfalfa or alfalfa-mix hay. If she is over, she needs unlimited grass hay, such as timothy, brome, orchard, or bluegrass to name a few. ((broken link removed)) has the best hay anywhere. Oxbow and Sweet Meadow ((broken link removed)) also have very good hay.

Your pig also needs at least one cup of veggies per day. Read https://guinealynx.com/nutrition.html. Never feed iceberg lettuce. Romaine, red leaf, green leaf, and lola lettuce are good everyday. Other good everyday foods are bell peppers (esspecially red), cilantro, a small peice of tomato, and radicchio. Feed others two-three days a week. Such as carrots, parsley, chickory, hummica, cucumber, spinach, etc. Fruits such as strawberries, kiwi, apples, oranges, and berries can be fed a few days a week.

You also need to adopt her a same sex buddy as soon as possible so you can put her in quarintine for three weeks in a seperate room. (www.petfinder.com) is a great place to look. Read ((broken link removed)to learn about adding a second pig. Read(broken link removed)[/url]) as well as (https://cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm).

What type of bedding are you using? Are you adding anything to the water?

Have you seen the C&C cages? She really needs space. There isn't much for her to do, but hide and eat in those tiny things. She can't run laps or play. Plus she needs a friend, so you'd need a bigger cage for a pair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.