Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New guinea pig that I brought home today

blurboi

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I brought a new guinea pig to join the one i brought back 2 weeks ago. This new pig is a male and 2 months old. He is not drinking and eating since we brought back this afternoon. He will just hide at one corner and freeze there. I have try to reach him but he just stay there and let me pat him. Normally new pig will just run and from stranger hand right?

I am new to guinea pig, is he normal to freeze at one corner without moving around?

Thanks.

Its normal, one of mine did that at first too, its just because he's so nervous, try putting a hidey in his corner and put a small amount of hay and watery vegetables inside the hidey so he'll be more inclined to eat. good luck! :)

@Eimear is right. I just brought a few boys home on tuesday and the larger male that the rescue SWORE ate nonstop didn't seem to come out of his igloo for the first day. When I put their cage together, I put one of the water bottles and a smaller food dish right outside the igloo door and that food dish is the first one empty.

Guinea pigs freeze by nature when scared if they feel like they won't be able to run away fast enough. In nature, if they'd freeze, they would normally be pretty concealed with tall grasses but in our human-made cages they just look like scaredy cats. Good luck with your guinea pigs! Trust comes with time and patience

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.