Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy New guinea pig - Pregnant?

ArabianMagicat

Cavy Slave
Hello, I just got a new guinea pig a couple hours ago from a shelter. She and another guinea pig were relinquished by the owner, and they lived in the same cage. Upon arrival, they suspected one was a male because of their behavior together, and separated them. When I got there, I was able to sex both of them, and I adopted the female because I have a female at home. They didn't know much about guinea pigs (they didn't even have hay in their cage) so I figured I'd be more competent to take care of her if she is pregnant, because I have the time and am more willing to research what to do and set up the cage.

Now I guess I have to keep her and my other guinea pig separated for a couple months just in case.

She is pretty round, and her nipples don't have hair around them: [GuineaPigCages.com] New guinea pig - Pregnant?[GuineaPigCages.com] New guinea pig - Pregnant?

From what I was told, she and the male were housed together for a year (since the old owners bought them from petsmart - she is a year old now I am told). I'm surprised she hasn't had babies already - maybe there is a chance that she is not pregnant? Any suggestions? I work at a vet office so I'm going to ask them to check her out tomorrow.

That's really strange, that she hasn't already gotten pregnant. Talk to a vet :)

If a female guinea pig is pregnant, will she have hair around her nipples or will it fall out or something?

Also, how much money will it cost if I were to get her checked out by and exotic vet, if my vet can't tell anything? She's not a fan of guinea pigs.

Yeah madelineelaine, I thought so too! Hopefully she isn't! And mommyof2, I've heard that the hair around the nipples will fall out near the end of term, but I'm not sure if it's true or false, which is why I'm posting here!

There's a possibility she's not pregnant. Male guinea pigs can be infertile just like males of any other species, as can females of any species.

I've never heard that about hair around the nipples falling out at the end of the pregnancy. In fact, my two are NOT pregnant and they don't have hair around their nipples at all.

Exotic vet costs vary widely across the country -- you'd just have to call some near you to find out what the charges would be.

She may or may not be pregnant -- she may just have a fat belly. If you put your hands along her flanks, can you feel anything that might be babies kicking?

If you aren't in a huge hurry to find out if she's pregnant, you could just wait. Weigh her daily, and watch her for any other signs of pregnancy. See (broken link removed) for more information.

You should be able to feel babies move around 6 weeks of pregnancy. About a week before birth, you can hear them chattering their teeth, and a few days before, her pelvic bones will begin to separate.

If she is pregnant, you'll need to line up an exotic vet, because of her age. The pelvic ligaments in guinea pigs stiffen at around 8 months of age, and sows older than that with their first pregnancy may have trouble delivering.

Okay great! Hopefully she is not, or she would have had babies already I would think. I don't feel anything I don't think, but her heart beats so fast when I hold her that it's hard to tell.

Good luck! I'm glad you could sex these poor piggies and take the female into your home! She is a pretty piggy :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.