Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Guinea owners

mgulley82

Cavy Slave
Well after a lot of discussion, reading and more discussion my wife and I decided that our 3 daughters were old enough to start taking care of their own animals. We decided on guinea pigs because of so many recommendations as a great pet for kids. Although we had an interesting start (the pet store had a bunch of sick guineas, one died the first night the other the next day before we could even do anything to help them) we decided to give it one last shot and stuck with a single female named "Eden". After 3 weeks and a clear bill of health we bought a second cage and another female we named "Raven". After a few weeks of quarantine to make sure we didn't have any more health issues we combined the two into what we thought was an appropriate sized cage for two guineas.

Boy are those pet stores wrong! Eden is very dominate and although they seemed fine on neutral ground in the cage a fight nearly broke out so we separated them again.

I stumbled upon this website and read about C&C cages and how some guineas overly aggressive/dominate behavior can be because of too small a cage. Well for half the price of my "deluxe" pet store cage I built a 2x4 grid with a 1x2 loft. YAY, although Raven struts her stuff from time to time and makes a rumbling sound (???) they get along very well and have had no fights after several weeks together. Raven does this low crawl while she makes a rapid rumbling sound, I'm assuming its to display dominance. Eden now "popcorns" all the time as well as raven when shes not being a slight butt head :)

Well here is pics of our setup and our two females Eden and Raven.

This is the original cage we had them in, might be a 1x2 size:

[GuineaPigCages.com] New Guinea owners

Heres our new setup!

Our kids are very happy and involved with their new pets. Thanks for looking!

Our next project is to make fleece liners with uhaul pads for the bottom portion of their cage, We will continue to use some form of bedding for the upstairs "kitchen"

After I posted this I caught Eden in her favorite sleeping spot......On top of her hide away!

These gals are too cute!

Welcome! I'm so sorry you had to go through the pet store/sick piggies episode. But your girls look so happy in their new cage. Just make sure to supervise the children at all times with the pigs. They are so delicate, and not really an ideal first pet for children. I hope everything goes well, and welcome to the forum!

Yup they are always supervised, and they do a great job with them.

What a fantastic story of dedicated piggy lovers! And how lucky are those pigs?! I'm sorry you had to go through the pet store junk first. Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.