Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance New friend being aggressive!

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
So we got a new piggie over the weekend and he got along fine with the boys for a couple days, but last night he started getting really aggressive towards Nibbles, and obviously my husband and I are more concerned about the boys we had first, vs the adoptee. They have different sleeping quarters, more than the recommended space for 3 boars, they have 17sq feet of room. Last night it was so bad he wouldn't stop mounting nibbles long enough for nibbles to get a drink of water.

The rescue we saved him from said that there's always a chance when you take a piggy home that he won't bond properly with the other two, but I can't just give up!! I went through and cleaned the cage entirely, with vinegar and water ofc, and have been very good about keeping it clean and safe for them...

It's not constant mounting/dominating, last night was the first night he did that, and he did it for 30minutes or so, no blood, just mounting and aggression. Later they were snuggled up and sleeping together.

My question is does anyone have experience with this? He bonded with the boys immediately at the shelter, as soon as floor time started the owners said, and so far there have been very few instances that would cause alarm, last night had me concerned for obvious reasons..If i were to take their cage and quarantine a third off for him so he can see his friends through the grids but he won't be able to fight, a time out of sorts during this behavior, would I cause more harm than good? Or perhaps putting him in the spare playpen we have for a few minutes when he acts like this to calm him down? The shelter suggested 1 squirt from a water bottle just to seperate them and he should settle down.. when we first got Nibbles and Bibbles they weren't bonded but bonded rather quickly and there was never this much aggression. The new one is about a year old and the others are only a few months behind him.

Ideas? Tips? Tricks? I'd really rather not try buddy baths as I'm not very well versed in bathing guinea pigs, so if you might have other things i could try first that'd be awesome :)

The shelter i got him from was boarding the boys for me when they bonded, they assured me that they did in fact bond at the shelter, but sometimes when you take them home they can get more aggressive. I really want to keep him, I don't want to send him on his way :( I feel like a failure because I really wanted to give him a good home! He won't eat his peppers so i crushed up about 20mg vita C tablet and put it on a tomato and fed it too him by hand so the others wouldn't get, and the rest he'll get from the pellets we give them. I don't mind the extra work to make sure he's happy and healthy, but Nibbles and Bibbles come first, until this is settled >_<

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
Also I did catch him chattering his teeth at Nibbles while Nibbles was trying to take a drink of water, Nibbles just looked at him, didn't chatter back, and later last night the other boys started putting him in his place and he backed down, I guess I just want to know if this is normal :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It all sounds perfectly normal to me. I wouldn't do a thing differently.

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
It all sounds perfectly normal to me. I wouldn't do a thing differently.
Ok thank you, we have never dealt with this before so I want sure what was normal and what wasn't!