Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners New Fleece Cage Liner

Cavyness

Cavy Slave
I came across some materials the other day that would make a nice cage liner, so I decided to bring out the sewing machine and give it a try. I don't have a lot of experience with sewing so I had some trouble, but it was simple once I got the hang of it.
I currently don't have a cage, I don't even have any piggies lol
But I really miss them so maybe I'll just hang on to this if I ever foster from a rescue.

Anyways I used a cotton mattress pad and fleece but found the sewing machine kept jamming, I believe the materials were too thick... so instead of fleece on both sides there is only fleece on one side and cotton on the other.

If anyone would like one for their cage I'd love to help out. Now for some pictures, and if you have any tips feel free to share :eek:ptimist:
[GuineaPigCages.com] New Fleece Cage Liner[GuineaPigCages.com] New Fleece Cage Liner[GuineaPigCages.com] New Fleece Cage Liner

That looks awesome.

Wow. Beautiful job!!!!

looks awesome! I can't wait till I get around to cleaning my office out and dragging my sewing machine in here so I can make myself some cage liners. Right now we have 2 layers of double sided terry cloth under a layer of fleece. I have no idea if my local fabric store has PUL to make lap pads or not. (PUL is Polyurithane Laminate, it's commonly used in diaper making for waterpoof covers/backs for All In One Cloth diapers) You should check to see if yours has PUL and you can make lap pads/water proof cozies for snuggle time too :D

I would love one!!! You did a great job.
Unfortunately I am in Canada...any thoughts on how much you would charge for the liner + shipping? not sure if it would be worth it?
my cage is a 2x4....

Thank You for the compliments :cheerful:

@(broken link removed) -I have never heard of PUL before, but it sounds like it would make lap pads much better. I'll have to remember to look next time I'm at the fabric store

@(broken link removed) -Thanks, I am not looking to make any profit (In fact I don't think it's allowed on GPC) but I would like to make a liner for you. I would only ask that you cover the price of the materials & shipping. Maybe a small donations to the GuineaPigCages Forum? haha
Anyways, if you're interested feel free to PM me with details and I'll try to figure out how much shipping will be and such.

Yeah I used to cloth diaper my kids, so I'm all well versed in the whole "What is absorbant and what is water repellant and the whole nine yards" lol

That's why I'm using terry under my fleece for my cage. There was some birdseye diaper cloth to make prefold diapers out of at my fabric store but I would have needed WAAAAAAAAAY too much for a piggie cage lol. Sure at $2/yd...but I'd need like it takes about...8 layers to make a diaper...so yeah...at least 16 layers of the stuff to make a good piggie pad. not worth the money.

Yup, Look at diaper making supplies, Diaper Fabric - Cloth Diaper Fabric Figure it's absorbant enough for baby pee, should be good enough for piggy pee lol

Yeah I used to cloth diaper my kids, so I'm all well versed in the whole "What is absorbant and what is water repellant and the whole nine yards" lol

That's why I'm using terry under my fleece for my cage. There was some birdseye diaper cloth to make prefold diapers out of at my fabric store but I would have needed WAAAAAAAAAY too much for a piggie cage lol. Sure at $2/yd...but I'd need like it takes about...8 layers to make a diaper...so yeah...at least 16 layers of the stuff to make a good piggie pad. not worth the money.

Yup, Look at diaper making supplies, Diaper Fabric - Cloth Diaper Fabric Figure it's absorbant enough for baby pee, should be good enough for piggy pee lol

Haha makes sense to me! I just used a mattress pad I had lying around the house, although there is a U-Haul that sells those furniture pads a few blocks down. I'm curious which fabric really works best, and I'd test all three but I have no "test subject guinea pigs" lol

That looks great! I think the only thing I have thought about (not sure if you did it here, can't tell) is sew another smaller box a littler further in to prevent bunching. I use U-haul pads and love them, but do wonder which is better (vs mattress pads).

Oh and maybe it's time you get some little piggies ;)

I made my second liner! This one will be for @(broken link removed) sows, I also made a lap pad. The colors are lovely but my camera fudges them a bit. I think the pattern is very appropriate for lady piggies lol

@(broken link removed) -I took your advice and sewed another box on the inside, thanks for the tip!

[GuineaPigCages.com] New Fleece Cage Liner[GuineaPigCages.com] New Fleece Cage Liner

@Cavyness - That looks awesome!!! Be careful or you might have people PM'img you 24/7 ;) Including me!

Really really nice!!! Live the fabric! I wish I had ur sewing skill. Mine look like a kindergartener sewed them!!!!!!

Wow, those are beautiful! Absolutely fantastic! Those colors are gorgeous, too. Love, love, love your liners! :)

Those look fabulous!!

Amazing! Love the coloring, white and blue ZEBRA PRINT!!!! Great job! Hope you find some pigs that are right for you!:)

-sarica

@(broken link removed) Wow I love it!!! Love the flowers! Thank you so much! I have pm'd you my details and will let you know when it arrives! Daisy, Bingo and I thank you so very much!

These are great!!! Not sure how to PM you but I would definitely like to buy some of both.

What a great job! How do you sew the inner square on the larger pad? Lucky for me my piggies don't require me to have straight lines :crazy:! I use 2 layers of flannel for mine and also found that 2 layers of fleece jammed up the regular machine. I got lucky that a family member uncovered a sewing machine that is for jeans so I'm going to try that out if I can figure out how to work the dang thing!

Thanks for all the nice compliments! :eek:

@Cavyness - That looks awesome!!! Be careful or you might have people PM'img you 24/7 ;) Including me!
Haha I really wouldn't mind, I enjoy sewing. I want to try making some tunnels/cuddle cups soon.

@(broken link removed) -I have sent you a private message

@(broken link removed) -It's pretty simple, I measure where I want the square then mark it with sewing pins so it stays even and sew it the same way I did the edges. I want to try to make a liner that can be reversible so I might give it another try with double fleece, maybe I'll try with a thicker needle.

Absolutely awesome!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.