Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? New companion for old guinea pig?

sarah1228

Cavy Slave
Greetings all!

The mother in our mother/daughter pair died several days ago. We rescued them about 3 years ago and as far as I know the daughter has never been alone. I am looking for another female to be a companion for her. However, I've noticed that since she has been alone she has been spending less time in her house, is exploring more, and seems more active. Could she be happier as an only guinea pig? We think she is at least 5 years old, so will it be stressful to introduce a new guinea pig to her? Any advice would be much appreciated!

I think another pig around her age would better suit her. From the exploring she's been doing lately, you make it sound like perhaps she's some what skittish/reserved? the lesser personality of the two? a pushover type maybe? Younger pigs tend to have dominance issues, of course if she submits and allows it and the younger pig is satisfied then all could be well, but I have a pig whose quite stubborn and even though her cage mate blatantly allowed her to be the dominant one, she would often do the dominance routine which I could tell would really aggravate my other pig at times.. I've read that once they're out of adolescence and their hormones aren't so fired up they're a little easier to pair together.
I believe I also have read that a neutered male is easier to introduce because females in general just tend to bicker and battle, but don't quote me on that because I am not 100%.. As for whether she is happier or not, I am unsure, but cage exploration is always a good sign! Just make sure you continue to spend loads of time with her, more so now that she's lost her mother/cage mate! Your bond will only grow and get better in the mean time while youre waiting to decide if getting another is the right thing to do or not..

But best of luck! And I am so sorry to hear about the loss of her mother :-/

We recently introduced a young pig (2 months old or so) to our 4-year-old pig who's lived alone her entire life, and they couldn't possibly be getting along better. The younger one is much more energetic, but our lazy older pig appears to be the dominant one; when they met, she jumped over the new one a few times and ran in circles around her, and now they just play around in their cage and cuddle up under the same pigloo even though we bought two. ;)

I suppose it depends on personality, but in my case it went about as well as I could have expected.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.