Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Cage!

onelilangel

Cavy Slave
It only took me 4 hours (had problems with the coroplast), but I did it!

My 3 girls, Leila, Luna & Leeah, got their very first C&C cage. It's 2X5', and it sits on top of two dressers (lots of space for their food, hay, bedding, toys, etc). They've even got pretty pink rope lights in the back (which they can't reach to bite on). I added those so they can see at night.

Here are some pictures of it all completed.

View from my bedroom door:
New Cage!

View towards my bedroom door:
New Cage!

Food area:
New Cage!

Play area -- 2 pigloos & three 4" PVC plastic plumbing tubes:
New Cage!

Sleeping area -- only 1 hammock for now, Petsmart didn't have anymore in when I went last week:
New Cage!

Photobucket just went down for some 'odd' reason -- so I couldn't add photos of my girls enjoying their new home! :( Maybe tomorrow!

~ Shay ~
Cavy Slave to:
Leila & Luna - born 04/12/04
Leeah - Adopted 07/09/04

cage

Great cage!!!!!!

You did an awesome job!

Oh, and I'm also assuming that you took the pig-ture before it was all messed up with hay! =) Very nice job!

mncavylover said:
Oh, and I'm also assuming that you took the pig-ture before it was all messed up with hay! =) Very nice job!

HAHA... for sure!! The minute I put them in there, it was all messed up! At least it looked pretty for afew seconds! :rolleyes:

And the bedding is kiln dried pine, or so that's what it says on the package - it was expensive. Maybe I can find it cheaper somewhere else besides Petsmart? It has no harsh smell to it, which I like. I normally use just newspaper, but figured I'd try bedding again (on top of newspaper) and this stuff doesn't make me sick.

Here are the rest of the pigtures:

Leila checking out the eating area:

Luna checking out the hammock:

And Leeah trying to get into the hammock with Luna -- but obviously there is no room! LOL

~ Shay ~
Cavy Slave to:
Leila & Luna - Born 04/12/04
Leeah - Adopted 07/09/04

Awww... they are soo cute! I haven't tried kin-dried pine, as I still think some of the bad scents would be there. I'm using Aspen with CareFresh on top for now. I think kiln-dried is pretty good, though, compared to the usual pine. Maybe you could see if they have aspen for cheaper? I know it's a bit cheaper here. That's a cool cage though, and I love the hammock, even though it's store-bought! =) Oh, and which type of bedding made you sick?

You have VERY lucky piggies....that's a beautiful pig palace you made for them. Job well done!!!

I use kiln dried pine that I got from a feed store. It was less than a much smaller bag from Petsmart. I think it was under $5 for a huge bag and so far, I have been using the same bag for three weeks of cage cleanings...still enough left for one more. They also have aspen for much less. If you are near any feed stores, I would check them out.

My nose is really sensitive to strong smells -- I get a headache.

What makes me sick is the smell of urine on the bedding -- it lets off this weird odour, and that's the odour that makes me sick. So I stopped using bedding for afew years, and now just went back to it. So far, I'm not having problems, but it could be the size of their home (2X5'). Before, I had two piggies in a store bought ZooZone 2. I was cleaning that thing every other day to get rid of that smell.

I'll have to look into Aspen -- is that safe? I heard it wasn't safe, like Cedar.

Aspen is safe. I have researched it on many sites. The cage is great.

onelilangel said:
I'll have to look into Aspen -- is that safe? I heard it wasn't safe, like Cedar.
Aspen sure is safe!!! It is regualar pine and cedar that are toxic to piggies. Aspen does not have those harmful scent chemicals, so it is very safe. In fact, it is one of the best wood beddings, next to the more expensive woody pet bedding. Plus, if you have it covered with a small layer of CareFresh, it should block out any possible chemicals, too! Good luck with the pigs. =)

Aspen is definitely safe! I would probably use it if not for the cost.

I use kiln dried pine that I get from a feed store. Giant bag was only $8 and so far I've done two complete cage changes and haven't even dented the bag. It has a faint smell but not much different than aspen. The shavings are also a little big bigger so it's less dusty than the aspen was.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.