Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General New Cage! But still many questions...

pennypig11

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

Well, after a long and trying time, we have finally built our first C&C cage! This is what my dear :heart:penelope's:heart: cage looked like before:
[GuineaPigCages.com] New Cage! But still many questions...
And this is what it looks like now:
I'm so excited about it.:D Of course my husband is already planning renovations on how to make it cooler, but I think its quaint and comfy, and a whole heck of a lot bigger than that previous cage. She's still just in her pigloo and really won't come out. I think she will take some time to adjust. Are there any things different that I should do? I've been following this site almost religiously for a month, and I've learned a whole lot!!! We also need to figure out how most people have made a hay rack. We have extra grids, we are just unsure of what tool to use to bend the wires. Any suggestions??:)

Nice! I have the same exact starter cage as you but now Shelby lives in a Midwest Habitat (8 square feet!). I'm keeping the starter as a quarantine cage. I had no idea how too small that thing was when I first got it. I'm seeing a lot of those little fleece beds in cages, think I may need to pick one up...

Now, I'm pretty brand new to the guinea pig thing (b/c mine came out of a bush a few days ago) but I did build my first cage today. For the hayrack I just used zip ties at the bottom and one on the side up top securing it to one of the walls of the cage and then some string to secure the other side at the top. Basically creating a lopsided 'V' with it. And I think I've read to not put their accessories around the edges so they can run lap around the edges. But it's SUPER cute and I adore your decorations for her on the board :)

out of a bush ?how odd where do you live ?! :p

For the hay rack...bend a grid with your hands. They bend easily...just be careful not to break it. I zip tied it to the grids with a piece of coroplast between it to prevent hay being knocked out.

In Idaho, strangest thing ever, right? It was a big ordeal, took us 4 days. Here is a picture that kind of shows how my hayloft is attached...

Hope that helps!

Oh and since I haven't gotten any coroplast yet, I just stuck some paper in between the hay and outer wall

Gorgeous piggy!!

Thanks for your input! Ok, so I moved everything out of the corners, and when I came back in the room, she was in the middle of remodeling everything against the walls, and in corners. Strange. I'm gonna attempt to bend the grid with my hand for the hay rack, but if it doesn't work, I will definitely make the "V" shaped rack.

Mommazilla, I totally followed your Juniper bush thread! I was jumping for joy when he was finally rescued!! And, we ended up "finding" our coroplast around the city. We found some old fireworks signs and took them and turned them around in her cage to make the sides. Hee-hee!! I cleaned them first of course. We live in San Antonio, and after spending weeks calling sign shops, the cheapest anyone would sell me a sheet for was $30!!!

Cute cage! I held one end of the grid down with my foot and bent the other side towards it. You want to make sure your bending it in half the correct way otherwise it will break. As to the correct way, I have no clue:crazy:! Somebody posted it on another thread but I can't remember.

Look at Mommazilla with a C&C cage!! He's out of the tub :) Does this mean he is staying?? I am still so happy he made it through the snow and you'all stuck it out and got him out of that bush :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.