Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ramps New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp!

minniemingming

Cavy Slave
Hi - I'm thrilled to have my new C&C cage up today and the piggies are settling in... I will post photos too, just have to get them off the camera!
I have set up the kitchen on the second story (has a ramp) and they haven't figured it out yet (it's been about an hour). How long can I leave the food up there (I have trailed carrots and lettuce up the ramp) hay, water, etc. before I bring it down? I don't want to totally freak them out but I do want them to go up and use the kitchen.... any suggestions much appreciated!
Thank you!

pS WOW it's so huge and way better than the old cage - once they get used to it they will love the space I'm sure!

Just leave it to them to figure it out. They will get it eventually.

Here's a trick:

Leave some of their favorite treats in the kitchen, and in the morning, when you come back, if the treats are gone, you know somebody was up there! That's what I did because of the fact that I couldn't see my Piggies running down their ramp to the Playpen right at first, so I did a little test.

Also, they may be more reluctant to do it if you are just sitting there. And, making a trail out of food seems like the classical thing to do-- It may actually work, but more often than not I have noticed that my Piggies just get what they can by stretching their bodies really far, and then run back to a different area of the cage and repeat the process.

So, use my trick if you wanna see if they will use it. Otherwise, just leave it to them.

:)

sounds good to me zuidy Cause gidget was the same way when they feel more comfty you will see them.

Thank you! @boofp here is my cage! [GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp![GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp![GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp!

Thanks for your suggestions, I will do this. In the meantime I moved the hay and water and pellets 'downstairs' - hopefully I can move them up once they figure out how to get up there!

It looks great so far! I love the dark blue coroplast. Those hay racks can be dangerous for their little feet though. If they reach up with their front paws to grab some hay, they could get caught, and the wheel will spin, possibly breaking something =/
Maybe if you have any extra grids, you could use that to make a hay rack? There are tons of other versions in the pictures here.
Love the idea of putting some veggies up there to see if they went up and to entice them a bit. I never had to do that with the pigs but I used to do that with my hamsters in all their tubes.

If you have an extra grid, I'd overlap the one on the upper level so the edge of the grid extends all the way up the the edge of where the ramp starts. If they run up there, they can jump over that small section where there's no grid. Aside from that, it looks great.

You may want to bend some grids and make sides on ramp or just take two grids and bend them silghtly like this [GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp![GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp! might make them feel better about using ramp

@jowasaurus Thanks for the advice on the hay rack - I've seen lots of good examples of others on here so I'll make one or use something else. Much appreciated.
@pinky I see what you mean about an overlapping grid - hmmm I don't have an extra one but I'll see what I can figure out.
Thanks!

@boofp thanks - I read some other posts on here that said sides might help or even make it a bit tunnel-like until they get comfortable... yours looks so cosy. My next step is moving to fleece!

Your very welcome I have learned a lot here and I want to return the favor.

I have the same cage set-up. I added 6 inch coroplast sides on both sides of the ramp using zip ties, covered the ramp part in fleece so they have some padding on their feet and gave my piggies a crash-course in using the ramp. I put them on the 2nd level first to let them see where the food and hay were. I left them there for a bit to see if they would explore the way down. After a little while, they just laid down as if trapped upstairs. So, I took one and put him halfway down the ramp and he turned and went back up. I did the same thing with my other piggie and he ran down. I did this a couple times with each of them. A couple hrs later, from the bottom level I enticed them with the hay puffs (the wheat looking parts of the hay which are their favorites!). They will usually follow my hand and eat from it, so I would let them get a nibble and then hold it further up the ramp. They would follow up the ramp until the hay was gone and then go back down. Lastly, I put the trail of hay and then they started going up and down on their own. Now they cruise up and down it all the time. You might not want to spend that much time "teaching" them how to use the ramp, but I was determined not to have food and hay mess downstairs. Good luck! :)

Thanks @zoenainai, those sound like great tips. I will see how it goes in the next day or two and then try some of these tricks. I'm like you, I'd really like the food and hay upstairs!! Thanks, i will keep you posted!

So how did the ramp thing go?

Got them up with a combo of tunnel added to ramp and fleece inside! Yay! I will post a picture tonight! Thanks all for your help!

Minnie, where did you get that ramp? I want one!

Once they learn how to use the ramp, it's all over. Mine jump from about halfway going up or down, they love it now. My cage looks almost exactly like yours, dark blue coro and black grids and all! I put a block on the upper part of the ramp so they couldn't jump from too far or fall off also. I did a 2x1 upper at first but quickly expanded it to 2x2 and i like it so much better. I put an old piece of carpet on the ramp and covered it with a sleeve of fleece or they'll eat the carpet! I hope you move to fleece soon, that looks like a lot of CareFresh, i know i couldn't afford it! :) The only thing about using a 2x2 upper is it's hard to get under to sweep and put fleece down. i made two sets of piggie comforters so it's all one piece and all i do is grab it, pull it towards me a little, grab the two corners and roll the poos to me and just throw the comforter back down and it only needs a little arranging!! Good luck and have fun!!

Here's the new improved ramp - I put the tunnel I used for floor time before and attached with zip ties to the original ramp. Amazing what a difference the fleece and tunnel made!

I have binder clipped the fleece to the coro on top but it's kind of freaking me out that they might chew at it and catch themselves in the metal part of the clip ? should I worry - how do you have binder clips without that issue (i realize mine are big, maybe smaller would be safer?)

[GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp![GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp![GuineaPigCages.com] New C&C cage - help with how to get pigs up the ramp!

Minnie, where did you get that ramp? I want one!

It came with the cage I bought on ebay but I've adapted it with the tunnel... it is a piece of coroplast reinforced underneath with dowels and then black coro strips on top. Can't take credit, it came with the cage!

Once they learn how to use the ramp, it's all over. Mine jump from about halfway going up or down, they love it now. My cage looks almost exactly like yours, dark blue coro and black grids and all! I put a block on the upper part of the ramp so they couldn't jump from too far or fall off also. I did a 2x1 upper at first but quickly expanded it to 2x2 and i like it so much better. I put an old piece of carpet on the ramp and covered it with a sleeve of fleece or they'll eat the carpet! I hope you move to fleece soon, that looks like a lot of CareFresh, i know i couldn't afford it! :) The only thing about using a 2x2 upper is it's hard to get under to sweep and put fleece down. i made two sets of piggie comforters so it's all one piece and all i do is grab it, pull it towards me a little, grab the two corners and roll the poos to me and just throw the comforter back down and it only needs a little arranging!! Good luck and have fun!!

Yes it's a whole bag of Carefresh - wow that really made me realize how huge the cage is! Next on my list is fleece, I just have to buy a large piece, my leftover baby blankets won't cut it I don't think!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.