Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions New baby isn't using his back legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I know he didn't have a very good diet before I got him, but he isn't using his back legs too well. I was told it was pronably a vit c or calcium deficiency.i can't post the video on here for some reason but these pictures are how he holds his legs constantly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392721263.672427.jpg949-6883

pinky

Cavy Slave
It could also be a leg or spinal injury. I'd get him to the vet today and wouldn't wait. I don't think a vitamin C or calcium deficiency would affect just one leg. It seems to look like more of an injury to me. He might be in pain so he needs to be checked.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
He drags both of them and sorta hops... That one just has more of a drag to it than the other... I'm really worried about the little guy

Amalee

Cavy Slave
Will you be going to the vet? You need to ASAP. This doesn't seem to be a minor problem at all.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I just gotta get my mom or dad to take me and let me pay them back... Apparently he's been doing it for a while, the woman I got him from told us he limped on his back leg... I think if it's not a deficiency of skme sort, that he's gotten it stuck in the cage she had him in... He's in a new cage now I just gotta find out what's wrong with his leg.... He's also a little bit underweight but I'm makin sure he constantly has veggies and pellets and a big mound of hay

pinky

Cavy Slave
Get your parents to take him in today! You're not going to find out what's wrong unless you have a vet check him. What if that was your leg? Would you be waiting? Vegetables, pellets and hay aren't enough. He's your responsibility.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I'm aware of this. I wouldn't have gotten him if I didn't want to bear responsibility. It's just gonna be hard to get in with one vehicle that my dad is using right now at work.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
For sure I'd start him on extra vitamin C. It won't hurt, and it may help. Does he act as if it's painful?

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
No, he acts perfectly normal, maybe a bit lethargico

Piggymomma074

Cavy Slave
Excuse me,, I am her mother and I am fully aware that he needs to go to the vet but ya know what, I dont drive! My legs dont work well either thanks to dealing with MS. So before you decide to jump down someones throat about getting to the vet, you may need to find out the circumstances as to why they cant get there like NOW. She takes full responsibility for her animals and helps me with mine. I guarantee her babies are more taken care of than a lot of peoples pets. We have one girl that wont eat her veggies simply because she was never given them so we blend them and syringe feed her purred veggies. Our animals are not neglected at all. We have our vet on facebook and can go to him for advice at anytime we need to. She was simply asking for advice on her as to what could have caused this and we learned this morning that his previous owner before the one she got him from did not take care of him and he was kept in poor conditions.

Get your parents to take him in today! You're not going to find out what's wrong unless you have a vet check him. What if that was your leg? Would you be waiting? Vegetables, pellets and hay aren't enough. He's your responsibility.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I talked to her this morning for a long time. She said that the people she got him off from were nasty and didn't take care of their pets and she thinks they were mean to him. She misses him a lot but she had to get rid of him because she's moving to Indiana which is at least 7-8 hours away... And she is glad that I got him because she said I knew more about pigs and could give him a better life than her.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
We are heading to the vets right now

pinky

Cavy Slave
Excuse me,, I am her mother and I am fully aware that he needs to go to the vet but ya know what, I dont drive! My legs dont work well either thanks to dealing with MS. So before you decide to jump down someones throat about getting to the vet, you may need to find out the circumstances as to why they cant get there like NOW. She takes full responsibility for her animals and helps me with mine. I guarantee her babies are more taken care of than a lot of peoples pets. We have one girl that wont eat her veggies simply because she was never given them so we blend them and syringe feed her purred veggies. Our animals are not neglected at all. We have our vet on facebook and can go to him for advice at anytime we need to. She was simply asking for advice on her as to what could have caused this and we learned this morning that his previous owner before the one she got him from did not take care of him and he was kept in poor conditions.

I apologize if I came on too strong but I want you to understand why I'm so passionate about animals being in pain. I have Polymyositis (arthritis of the muscle and connective tissue.) Like you, my body doesn't always function normally and I've had periods where I've been unable to lift my legs go up stairs or get into the tub, lift my arms or head and have had difficulty breathing and swallowing. I've also suffered from chronic, unbearable pain when I relapsed. Fortunately for me, as I've gotten older, I've had fewer relapses. Unless someone has experienced chronic pain, they don't understand how bad it can be. Animals can't tell us when they are in pain so we don't always know. Guinea pigs are prey animals so they try and hide the pain. All I could think of was your guinea pig suffering when I saw the photo so I was trying to explain the urgency so she wouldn't needlessly suffer. I'm glad to see you're taking her in to the vet and hope it's not too serious.

Piggymomma074

Cavy Slave
We actually have three of them at the vet right. I know how painful it can be dealing with chronic pain. Dealing with ms, neuropathy, Fibro .. I have days I can't even get out of bed and court has to help me a lot. That's a lot for a 19 year old to cope with. I am 39 years old and my body is that of a 60+ ... I have a pacemaker along with all the other issues but with all that going on our animals are still taken care of.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Hopefully my vet can figure our what's wrong w them, he doesn't specialize in pigs but there is only 1 in ky tht does n it's 5 hrs away.... He is a small animal vet n knows abt rabbits n a bit abt pigs just not alot

pinky

Cavy Slave
We actually have three of them at the vet right. I know how painful it can be dealing with chronic pain. Dealing with ms, neuropathy, Fibro .. I have days I can't even get out of bed and court has to help me a lot. That's a lot for a 19 year old to cope with. I am 39 years old and my body is that of a 60+ ... I have a pacemaker along with all the other issues but with all that going on our animals are still taken care of.

I'm sorry if I riled you up with my initial post. I'm sure the last thing you need is the added stress. I was diagnosed when I was around 28 which is young for polymyositis. I'm 58 now and have been on and off prednisone for about 20 years which has done a number on my bones. I relapsed after my daughter was born and my son ended up being a preemie after I developed anti-cardiolipin antibodies after my first pregnancy. They'd test me for the polymysitis by running a CPK. Over the years, it seems that the disease has been evolving. I've had markers for schleroderma and lupus but never all the exact symptoms to match the symptoms to one of the diseases. My rheumatologist said that there are probably hundreds, if not more, autoimmune disorders that don't even have names. It gets really frustrating because I never know when it's going to start up again. I'm sure you can relate to that. I'm really sorry you're going through all this and wish you well. Your daughter is lucky to have you supporting her, even when you aren't feeling well..

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I love my momma:) I do everything I can for her cos she has all my life

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
He said that I'm doing everythjng right that I can with little baby, izzy has a uri and put her on cephalexin? And Luna has something wrong w her swallowing and he is gonna do research and get back to us on her

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Cephalexin is on the GL dangerous meds list.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what it does

Status
Not open for further replies.