Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions New baby isn't using his back legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know what it does

It's an antibiotic. But, I think its not safe for guinea pigs. At least, as I mentioned it's on the GL dangerous meds list.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I told my mom:/

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
It looks like the potential problems are allergic reaction and life threatening diarrhea.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I called back to the vet and they are closed now... (Closes at 6) it's 7:15 and I'm so acared

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I called back to the vet and they are closed now... (Closes at 6) it's 7:15 and I'm so acared

I would keep an eye on her, I guess there's probably not much you can do at this point except be ready to keep her hydrated if she gets diarrhea. Does your vet have an emergency # in case you need him/her in the night? Most vets will have an emergency number available that goes to their home or cell phone.

Just a recommendation for future vet visits, I always keep a copy of the GL dangerous meds list with me when I go to the vet. That way we can reference what they are prescribing. Luckily though, I live in an area with some top notch cavy savvy vets.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I went back n talked to him, he said tht he has used it in many other piggles n hasn't had problems, but to get some probiotic of any kind whether yogurt or children's chewablea n tht if I notice anything wrong to bring her back n he will change the meds

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
He sat with me and checked over his textbooks to make sure n said tht the only problem it seems wld b getting dehydrated but tht is common w any antibiotic but to watch on her

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
cephalexin is a penicillin-type drug which guinea pigs cannot take.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure they can't have yogurt. They are lactose intolerant.

My vet told me some of the old textbooks have inaccurate information in them about guinea pigs.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
He's a younger yet.. He's like 27

Piggymomma074

Cavy Slave
I really trust our vet. He's been amazing with our animals & even consults other vets out if our areas if he's unsure about something. I have saline & insulin size needles on hand if needed & he does have an emergency contact number.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I am pretty sure they can't have yogurt. They are lactose intolerant.

My vet told me some of the old textbooks have inaccurate information in them about guinea pigs.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
He's gonna be calling his teachers down in auburn university to find out about it all

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I looked through our Vet Med Library database. Unfortunately, for some reason I can not get access to the articles (it is trying to require me to sign up for a journal, but my school already HAS a journal subscription to it). But, in reading the abstracts... I will certainly never use cephalexin.

MrWhistles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Excuse me,, I am her mother and I am fully aware that he needs to go to the vet but ya know what, I dont drive! My legs dont work well either thanks to dealing with MS. So before you decide to jump down someones throat about getting to the vet, you may need to find out the circumstances as to why they cant get there like NOW. She takes full responsibility for her animals and helps me with mine. I guarantee her babies are more taken care of than a lot of peoples pets. We have one girl that wont eat her veggies simply because she was never given them so we blend them and syringe feed her purred veggies. Our animals are not neglected at all. We have our vet on facebook and can go to him for advice at anytime we need to. She was simply asking for advice on her as to what could have caused this and we learned this morning that his previous owner before the one she got him from did not take care of him and he was kept in poor conditions.

Totally understandable, but, from what I've seen here there users are young and sometimes the parents are not so understanding. Some of us have been there and done that with pigs and cannot stress enough how important vet care is to these animals. Maybe, before getting all defensive, you can politely explain the situation.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
I did politely explain the situation as I knew it... I found out more this morning. There's no reason to come on here and say something to her either. I specifically said I couldn't get into a vet because my dad was at work but I was gonna try, and then izzy pig started coughing and we called my dad n he got home ASAP n took us.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Hopefully my vet can figure our what's wrong w them, he doesn't specialize in pigs but there is only 1 in ky tht does n it's 5 hrs away.... He is a small animal vet n knows abt rabbits n a bit abt pigs just not alot

Did you find this through a Google search? I know exotics actually getting vet care is far and few between, but unless you live in the country, there must be 1 closer to you than 5 hours.

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
I did politely explain the situation as I knew it... I found out more this morning. There's no reason to come on here and say something to her either. I specifically said I couldn't get into a vet because my dad was at work but I was gonna try, and then izzy pig started coughing and we called my dad n he got home ASAP n took us.

Yes, it was stated before your mom's comment and once that was stated, no one pushed to get him in the very second. So I don't really see the need to get defensive. I've seen quite a few younger, responsible users here who can relate.

courtneylushae

Cavy Slave
Kentucky is a really mountainous and very rural area, I google searched several times and did the guinealynx search and everything... And excuse me. For not having a way to get there. My mom can't drive when her multiple sclerosis is flaring up and I can't drive yet. We told dad tht we needed to take them to the vet and he said ok and when izzy started coughing he told us to call and make sure they were in that he was taking us.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
There are exotic vets in Ashland, Lexington, Northern Kentucky, Louisville, Paducah and in Nashville and Knoxville, Tennessee. So there's definitely an exotic vet closer to you than five hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.