Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C New advise about c&c cages...

Syrop

Cavy Slave
I'm planning to make my first c&c cage soon. The thing is though, that I live in Iceland and I have never seen a c&c cage and the material is not available here. So I'm sort of "blind shopping" online, since I have no clue of what I am getting my self into :)

I have a table space of 100cmx50cm but my pet store-bought cage is 100x70 (sticks out a bit, but thats ok). I have to use that table space since I've got two kids and two dogs and don't want them on the floor, and that table was specially made for the guineas.

I've got two guineas that I want to make more space for - so I was hoping I could make a c&c cage with a ramp and a deck, using the space I've got. I saw on this page a c&c cage kit, size small, that will hopefully fit but it is little bit bigger than the table space!

My questions are:
1. Is it ok if the c&c cage "sticks out" a bit on all sides? Will it be sturdy enough?
2. Does the space increase for sure when I've got a c&c cage vs pet store bought cage? (the one I use now)
3. I would guess it would be my simplest solution to just buy the kit from here where I get it all at one place....agree?

All answers would be really helpful! :)

I don't think a traditional C&C cage is going to work very well on the table you have. Normally with a C&C cage, there is not a bottom, though you can add grids to the bottom if you want to. If there is not a bottom and the table is not bigger than the cage, the whole thing will fall apart.

The smallest C&C cage which is 2 x 3 (grids) is 76 x 91 cm So it would fit the length of your table but not the width. But even that size is not recommended for 2 piggies. The recommended size (2 x 4 grids) is 76 x 121 cm and that would be way too big for your table.

Whether or not the size increases with a C&C from what you have depends on how big you make it. A 2 x 3 is roughly the size of what you have now. Obviously a 2 x 4 is bigger but you don't have room for it if you want to put it on your table.

Unless you can find a way to accommodate a 2 x 4, there is no point in trying to order a kit online especially since I'm not sure they ship to Iceland and even if they do, the cost would be horrendous.

oh man! Thanks for giving me the advise I didn't want!! ;) hehehehe.

Well, I'm going to have a chat with my husband when he comes home from sea and see what we can do about the cable size...Maybe I will move them to my office but that means they won't get the same attention as they do where they are now. Oh man! Need bigger HOUSE!! :)

don't know whats wrong with me today... Of course we are going to have a chat about the TABLE size, not the cable size :)
And I also Needed advise about c&c cage, not New advise...

I think you might be better off to see if you can make something from whatever materials you have available where you are. If you haven't already, look at the photos in the alternative cages section and you might get some ideas. You said the table was made especially for the piggies, so it sounds like you have someone handy building things, so maybe that person (your husband?) can help.

Is the office still easily accessible? If so, you'll probably find that those little cuties attract you. I wanted my piggies, Amy and Borat, in the family room where I work all day, but Borat was missexed (supposed to be two girls) so they're in two separate cages til he's neutered. I could only fit them in the front room, which we don't really use. My husband and I pop in there a lot to say hi to the piggies, give them a treat, do some impromptu lap time, etc. They also let us know they're there via wheeks since they can hear the fridge open.

Also, do you have a more centrally located spot for floor time? That might help. I'm able to do floor time in the family room, so my piggies are actually near me for two to three hours a day.

Good luck on finding a workable solution and getting your materials!

The smallest C&C cage which is 2 x 3 (grids) is 76 x 91 cm So it would fit the length of your table but not the width. But even that size is not recommended for 2 piggies. The recommended size (2 x 4 grids) is 76 x 121 cm and that would be way too big for your table.

The minimum size required for for 2 guinea pigs is a 2x3, however the preferred size is a 2x4.

@Syrop - If a 2x3 is all you have room for, then don't stress too much about trying to make the cage bigger. However, bigger is always better with piggies, as it gives them more room to run around and exercise, so just consider all your possible options before making a decision. There are ways of expanding the size of your table top if your heart is set on a C&C cage, like placing a piece of plywood cut to the size of the cage on top. Just make sure the entire set-up is secure when you're done.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship C&C supplies to Iceland, but I could imagine it's not cheap. As @Raine59 stated, you could always build your own alternative.

Thanks so much for your advice. Need to do some re-thinking. My husband is the handy one, but he is not fond of the guineas (calls them rats, but then when he has friends/family visit he can be such a show-off, giving them carrots and showing the guests how they squeak when he opens the fridge hehehe) so I'm not sure what he is willing to do with me/for me.

The office-room is the only up-stairs room and I don't really spend much time there, even though I should hehe but now their cage is in a really good area of the house.
[GuineaPigCages.com] New advise about c&c cages...
It's between our bedroom door and the bathroom door and I am standing in the boy's bedroom taking the picture so its right in the middle of the bedroom area.

I just want the same table space, but two floors! I think I really need to put my thinking cap on....

Any ideas??

oh yeah, must add that it has to look "beautiful" - can't be "glued together" since its part of the "furniture" in the house.....
I know, I might be living in some utopia of happy guinea pigs with huge space made out of nothing, everything always beautiful and clean and husband loving them as much as I do hehehe

You could build a 2.5 x 3 grid cage by using the length of the table as your width for the 2.5 grids and letting the length extend past the table. So one side of the cage will be supported by the table, and for the other side, you could build a stand like this:

[GuineaPigCages.com] New advise about c&c cages...

That would give you adequate space for two piggies. You can even use the space underneath for storing your supplies, if you want. Or, if you can find another table of the same height that you can attach to this one, you could do that instead of building a stand.
owever, this would only work if you are able to extend the cage past the table without it interfering with much furniture.

Instead of coroplast, I used a plastic tablecloth/shower curtain that was attached to the grids using binder clips on the side so as to make 'walls' to keep in the bedding. For the floor of the cage, you can lay down some flattened cardboard boxes under the shower curtain but on top of the grid bottom. The shower curtain keeps them from getting wet while the cardboard provides a stable floor.

I used the above set up for two months until I realized that really cheap coroplast was available in my country under another name. It would have probably lasted longer, though I'm not sure how often you would have to replace the plastic sheet and cardboard.

If your pigs like to chew (like mine), then pinning the plastic sheeting walls higher where they cannot reach the edges works well enough.

Thanks Cavylier for good ideas. Shower-curtain sounds good!

Has anyone ever used Plexiglass as a bottom?

Thanks Lissie - I've checked the album and googled it,... I think this is the way we're gonna go. I'll keep you guys posted! :)

My questions are:
1. Is it ok if the c&c cage "sticks out" a bit on all sides? Will it be sturdy enough?

As others have said, a C&C cage is open on the bottom. The grids create the walls but not the floor so a cage that sticks out from a table is increasingly unsteady. You can create a floor with grids though. It would stablize it and then even if it sticks out, it is not likely to tip or fall apart.

2. Does the space increase for sure when I've got a c&c cage vs pet store bought cage? (the one I use now)

Absolutely! Even the smallest C&C cage is larger than a petstore cage. It's also easier to clean and pigs live healthier lives because they don't have to sleep where they eat and poop.

3. I would guess it would be my simplest solution to just buy the kit from here where I get it all at one place....agree?

If materials are hard to come by in your area, ordering a kit from the site might be your best bet. It's more expensive to order the kit than to build it but the coroplast comes already scored. You would just have to tape up the sides to form the tray and connect the grids to form the cage. If you are thinking about using the table, you might also want to order extra grids to use for the floor so you can stablize the cage.

As for cage dimensions, it would also kind of depend on the sex of your pigs. Males tend to be a little more territorial so they need more space than two females living together. A 2X3 might suffice for two females but that is the minimum. A 2X3 wouldn't be big enough for two males so you would need at least a 2X4 minimum but a 2X5 is recommended.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.