Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New additions to the family!

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
When we adopted Mollee (back in June), unbenounced to us we got the bonus package-she was pregnant, which of course we had no idea until she was visably pregnant. Well lastnight she gave birth to two little angels. Her two babies, are healthy, happy, active and appear to be normal-I was afraid they would not be because I gave her treaments of Invermectin. I feel very very fortunate that Mollee had such an easy delivery, no real blood to speak of and is back to normal today (had the babies at 7:30 lastnight).
We are keeping the babies and I understand that newborns can be difficult to sex and it is best to try when they are a week old, but right now it appears that we have one female and one male. We would like to put (once we are absolutely sure we have a male and that male reaches roughly 4 weeks old) in with Peppy, our 1 year old unneutered male. Right now his company is Gyngeer, my cranky girlie who tolerates no cage mates or floortime mates, we have them in seperate cages of course. I do have concerns though that Peppy, being that old, will not tolerate another male and because he is able to smell his harem of females, he will be more prone to fight. So my question is, is it better to handle the babies, have their smell on us and then handle him, occasionally put any blankies the babies sleep on in his cage so he gets use to their smells, or do we and do an introduction cold turkey on neutral territory once we are ready to house them together?
I know I know they were just born but I always plan ahead:crazy:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Congrats - I'm glad you had a complication free delivery.

As for intros, I don't think you need to do anything special as far as handling/smells/etc - just intro them on neutral territory. I've always heard introducing an older pig to a brand new baby goes surprisingly well compared to adult/adult intros.

I'm glad your girl and her babies are healthy!

webjetter

Cavy Slave
Congrats on a trouble-free delivery! Will you be posting some pigtures so we can see the little critters? Babies are sooooooooo adorably cute!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
When Teddy had babies I handled them everyday. They both turned out to be super sweet pigs.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Make sure to seperate him, if he is indeed a male, at three weeks. Four weeks could be too late.

Dee Dee S

Cavy Slave
I think that is my best bet PixieStix-the sooner (but not to soon) the safer. I would be devistated if I waited to long and then both Sis and Mom became pregnant, and not only pregnant-inbred:(.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.