Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Won't Eat New 4 month old guinea pig won't eat anything but carrots and hay... maybe pellets.

cordovapdb

Cavy Slave
I adopted my 4 month old guinea pig who has been in 2 homes so far. She isn't eating very much- she would only eat carrots at first and now that's kinda dying off. I actually went out in the middle of the night and picked unfertilized grass for her just so she'd eat and she ate some. My question is: we have an appointment with a very good vet on Monday but can she survive on grass until then? How can I keep her strong until we see our vet?

applechih

Cavy Slave
how long have you had this piggy it could just be that its too new.When i first got princess she would not eat at all for the first few days until i found something she liked. im not sure but i think your piggy will be ok with grass just try to find other things she'll eat so she can get variety. try a seedless grape my piggy loves them but piggies shouldnt have too many of them because of the sugar content

cordovapdb

Cavy Slave
Ok. We have an appointment on Monday. Isn't it the damnedest thing when they have problems on the weekend. Anyways, she's alert, not pooping alot but peeing. She can get around, she's quick, she's not lethargic, so I'm guessing she's okay for now. She doesn't like anything I give her. I'm going to pick up a multitude of things to try on her (not at once) and see what she likes and doesn't. Hopefully, she makes it long enough to see the vet and the vet can help us. Until then, I don't know.

cordovapdb

Cavy Slave
You know what... I just thought of something-- do you think getting another guinea pig might help seeing as how she's this new? I introduced her to my rabbits who live at my folks' house and she was literally squirming out of my arms to get to them. I think that that may be the problem.

Cordovapdb, A new gp friend would be a good idea, but putting rabbits and gp's together is not a good idea. Rabbits can kick a gp, not meaning to, but harm or kill a gp. Rabbits also carry a virus that can harm gp.s I know many put them together but it really is a dangerous thing for a guinea pig.

Last edited by a moderator:

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Maybe another pig would help. When I first got Paisley she would not touch a veggie or fruit. I probably spent $15 buying small amouts of different fruits and veggies in one week just to get her to eat something. I ended up getting vitamins to add to her water. I brought Presley home 2 weeks after I got Paisley put some veggies in the bowl. As soon as Presley started eating them Paisley was pushing her out of the way to get to the bowl. She's eaten them ever since. I still for the life of me cannot get her to eat an orange. They love cherry tomatoes, carrots, fresh green beans, all colors of peppers, and parsley.

farmersdaughter, putting vitamins in the water is not a good thing. It doesnt give enough vitamin c and it makes the water taste funny so the gp may not drink at all. The best way for vitamin c is thru plenty of fresh veggies. My pigs wont eat oranges either.

Last edited by a moderator:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You stated you just got your pig plus being in 2 different homes. She is probably very frightened and is not sure what is going on. If you are leaving pellets, hay and water out, she may very well be eating when you are not watching or around. Make sure food is available at all times.
Do you know if she was fed veggies at her other homes? She may not know what they are.
Take like a green pepper, cilantro or lettece (not iceberg) one at a time, cut them up very small and put them in the pellet dish. Once she gets the taste down and is eating it try another veggie.
It is a good thing she is going to have a vet check. Make sure she is healthy.

Once she gets used to her new home. During lap time you can hand feed veggies too. Lets her know your hand wont hurt here and treats are good things.
Let us know how the vet trip goes and how she is doing.

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Ok. We have an appointment on Monday. Isn't it the damnedest thing when they have problems on the weekend.
Of course, that is the way it works with animals and kids. They never seem to have an emergency during business hours. Some vets do have early Saturday appointments. Maybe even just calling and asking a few questions to see if they think it is okay to wait until Monday or if they think you should have her checked out right away.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How long have you had her? Mine have always taken some time to adjust to the move. Have you offered leafy greens like green and red leaf lettuce? Does she have a hidey where she can take her food to eat in private? What type of pellets and hay are you offering?

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
Maybe another pig would help. When I first got Paisley she would not touch a veggie or fruit. I probably spent $15 buying small amouts of different fruits and veggies in one week just to get her to eat something. I ended up getting vitamins to add to her water. I brought Presley home 2 weeks after I got Paisley put some veggies in the bowl. As soon as Presley started eating them Paisley was pushing her out of the way to get to the bowl. She's eaten them ever since. I still for the life of me cannot get her to eat an orange. They love cherry tomatoes, carrots, fresh green beans, all colors of peppers, and parsley.

farmersdaughter, putting vitamins in the water is not a good thing. It doesnt give enough vitamin c and it makes the water taste funny so the gp may not drink at all. The best way for vitamin c is thru plenty of fresh veggies. My pigs wont eat oranges either.
I only put vitamin C drops in her water to at least get some Vit C in her at the time. I do not do that now that she eats veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.