Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Neutering

• Thread starter winstonandwally
  • Start date

winstonandwally

Cavy Slave
Does neutering eliminate boar smell and territory marking (butt dragging)? Is nneutering recommended and considered humane?

Hmm that's a good question, I think it would cut back on the marking, and the smell. But It wouldn't eliminate it, I wouldn't think. The only real reason to neuter a male would be if you wanted to pair it with a female. At least that's my understanding.

Hmm, I know putting them under can be a big issue with such a little guy. But then again, it's personal choice I guess. When I first started keeping piggies when I was a teenager, it was a big no-no. But I know there's a lot of advancement in veterinary medicine since then.

Spy9. How did he die? Just curious how you know it didn't have to do w the surgery?

I am looking into neutering because they live in my room and they stink. there is no where else in the house for them to be. Small house, cat and dog, plus major drafts here in MN coming in and out of the house. When doing floor time my husband has a fit about the smell from what I call "boar butting" and now my 2 1/2 year old son is telling everyone that his piggies stink and that is embarrassing. My animals are a part of the family and I want them to be welcomed instead of everyone dreading them coming out because of the smell. and making me feel like a dirtball for having them in the house. My husband is a farm boy that did not grow up w animals, PLUS he is jelous of my piggies ;-)

Where does Cavy Spirit say neutering should be avoided? I've read where they say not to do it if you are attempting to calm tension between boars because neutering boars does not have the same affects on behavior as it does with a dog, for example. However, if you are neutering to house with a sow, it is perfectly reasonable, acceptable, and safe. Our local rescue neuters many of its boars prior to offering them for adoption.

That being said, I am not sure I would neuter two boars to avoid their odor. My neutered boar drags his butt everywhere still, but there is no serious odor. I've never had an adult intact boar, so I don't know how much neutering would do to improve your situation, but it might.

That is where I am stuck..... Will it reduce the smell or not and is it worth putting them through it for that purpose.

Personally, I wouldn't do it just to reduce the smell. How long have you had them? I've heard from other owners that the amount of "stanking" will be reduced as the pigs get older. How old are your pigs?

I have also heard of people leaving a familiar-scented object in the cage after cleanings to reduce how much marking the boars do.

I had an intact male, and he didn't smell, even with a female in a separate cage (no breeding in my house lol). I also have two know, and the smell isn't bad, it was a little worse when they were together, and sometimes when I get one out for floor time and the blanket under them has a 'smell' to it. they'll make it. Well Charlie will, George doesn't, he's more concerned with running around trying to find Mommy lol. Or the dog, he likes to talk to the dog lol. Anyways, that's just me. As personalities are different so will smell be.

I don't, but I'll tryen get one soon lol. I'll have to borrow the plug n play from my friend.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.