Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

neutering

valeriusj

Cavy Slave
I just went to the veterinarian, and he said that my male was perfectly healthy. I asked about neutering, and got an estimate for $141. is that a lot for neutering? how muc hdid you pay?? also, he said that he would be neutered in the morning, and would get to go home in the afternoon... is that right? I thought they would stay overnight?

Having had a far bit of work experience in veterinary practices I can definitely tell you that they don't have to stay overnight. Most vet practices like to do surgery in the morning so the animal is fit to go home later. Modern anaesthetics are such that it only takes a couple of hours for an animal to almost completely recover, less for others. As regards to the cost that does seem slightly pricey, but significantly less than other quotes I've seen - I guess it all depends on the practice, you might want to look around. Hope this helps some.

valeriusj said:
I just went to the veterinarian, and he said that my male was perfectly healthy. I asked about neutering, and got an estimate for $141. is that a lot for neutering? how muc hdid you pay?? also, he said that he would be neutered in the morning, and would get to go home in the afternoon... is that right? I thought they would stay overnight?
I had my pickles nuetered. For both my pigs that, included nails clipped and were checked for mites and only Pickles was neutered. All done in the same day. $181.00. I found out yesterday, that I did'nt need to have him neutered. It turns out, Rosie was not a female, but a male. They still get along together great. When Pickles was neutered, the vet just said to keep an eye on his incision to make sure he did'nt scratch it open. Pickles had no problems when I picked him up that afternoon. It's worth spending the money if you don't want a bunch of pigs running around. Just that much more poop to pick up. Hope this helps.

valeriusj said:
...got an estimate for $141. is that a lot for neutering
You don't show your location which seems to be a big factor based on what I've seen elsewhere in the forum. I live in Southern California and my vet quoted me about $120-150 for the male and $180-200 for the female. The range is because I've already forgotten the exact figure. I just know it was too much to pay so I got two males instead.

The best thing to do is to call several vets in your area and ask their fees. Also ask if they have doctors with experience in neutering guinea pigs. Only compare prices from experienced vets.

I too live in So. Cal. and I got my pig neutered for only $80! He did not stay overnight either, just a few hours.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.