Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Neutered Male and Female Couples

ellisa

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello all!

It's almost been a month since I adopted Penny. I have fallen in love with her the past few weeks. She's my first sow. She is so sweet and friendly. She has never bitten me at all. She's shy but very laid back. I want to find the perfect friend for her.

I live in a small town in Manitoba. I have been having the hardest time finding guinea pigs up for adoption or rehoming. I went on to Kijiji tonight, and saw an ad for a guinea pig in Winnipeg (about 2.5 hrs from me). A lady is trying to rehome her neutered male. She adopted him from a previous owner and she has too many now and needs to cut down. She said he is currently housed with females. She also said that he is friendly and popcorns.

I have never done a neutered male and female paring. I'm a bit nervous. Would it be a better match than 2 females? I guess it depends on the pigs. Would Penny be humped constantly? I guess I'm just looking for other peoples stories about these types of pairings.
Thanks for any replies!
We are supposed to go and pick him up on Thursday!

Depends entirely on the pigs. And there are any number of male-female pairings where the female is the dominant pig.

Depends entirely on the pigs. And there are any number of male-female pairings where the female is the dominant pig.

Thanks Billie. I guess I'm just nervous because I have never had a male-female pairing before. I wouldn't mind at all if Penny were the dominant pig. She's very loving and I just want her to have a friend. She's a very social girl. I know there's always a chance things won't work out, but I guess I won't know the answer until I try.

Thank you for adopiting this new guy. You can pair a female and a neutered male. Just follow the same introductions as you would for any other new pairing. Also he will have to be quarintined for several weeks to make sure he is healthy and wont give Penny anything.

And of course pictures and keep us posted.

I housed my neutered male with 4 females. After one of the females passed, I introduced another female to the group. She tormented the poor guy and instantly became the dominant pig. I ended up moving my neutered male in with my senior male. I could have taken out the dominant female but she would have had to live alone and the senior male would have been alone. You never know how it'll work out.

Thanks everyone. I hope it will all work out! :eek:ptimist:

I have a male/female pair and I have to say they get along better then any same sex pair. I find that Eve is the more dominate one while Romeo is more protective of her and will stand his ground infront of her when strange people stick their hands in the cage. If its me he just comes up looking for food leaving Eve to the wolves so to speak.

I think that would be just fine!

I have had a number of male-male, female-female and male-female pairs and I've never had a problem with the male/female not working out. It depends largely on the female and how she accepts the male, but generally they work it out. It's usually a really sweet dynamic, too - they get to a point where they act like an old married couple, picking at each other and grooming and bickering. I think you'll be pleased if you do introductions properly and give them time to work it out.

Do, though, confirm that the boar is neutered before you try introductions.

Thanks so much for the replies, everyone!!
I really hope it will work out! I hope Penny will be accepting of a friend. Her previous owner said she was never with any other pigs, but was with a rabbit for a bit >(
She gets so excited when my dogs go up to her cage and sniff around. Maybe this means she will also be excited for a manly man?

@Paula , I've never actually met a neutered man (I guess I should say boar). Do you think I should go to a vet to confirm? Are my assumptions correct in thinking that it would be pretty easy to tell whether a male were neutered or not? I mean, boars do have pretty huge balls. There's no way some testicles could be hidden up in his rear, could there be? I've seen pictures and everything. I'm just a worry wart. :eek:

Edit to add: Penny is almost a year and this little guy is about a year and a half. That shouldn't be a problem, should it?

In my experience, some males that are neutered appear not to be depending on scar tissue and whatnot. Sometimes it's very obvious and sometimes it's not. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry.

And the age shouldn't be an issue. It depends largely on the disposition of the animals involved. :) Good luck!

Just got off the phone is little mr. man's current owner. Heading out tomorrow morning to get him! Hopefully the drive won't stress him out too much! He comes with his carrier and I'm packing water, hay, and nummies for him to eat during the ride.
I'll share pictures tomorrow night when we get back!!
Thanks again for all the help everyone! :cheerful:

Yay! I hope everything works out great. I can't wait for pictures of your new guy. :D

Thanks @Fizzlepop40!
I'm nervous and excited! I hope he'll be compatible with Penny! :eek:ptimist:

Congrats! My neutered boar is happily near the bottom of the hierarchy as well. I've noticed that he also helps the girls get along better. Can't wait to see pics of the new guy.

Thanks SurfingPigs :)
I'm excited! I keep telling Penny that she is going to have a little husband soon(ish)!

I currently have a neutered male paired up with two female pigs, and he gets along with them better than the two girls get along! My females are for sure the dominant pigs, but Hershey will stick up for his veggies some time. Good luck with the introductions!

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a hard time finding a female in my area. Lots of males. I already sent an email to the animal shelter near me to see if they are willing to neuter. They have 6 adorable males guineas all over a year old. I don't believe my female is no more than 3-4 months old. Would this be ok to introduce (of course after quarentine) since the male would be older?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm having a hard time finding a female in my area. Lots of males. I already sent an email to the animal shelter near me to see if they are willing to neuter. They have 6 adorable males guineas all over a year old. I don't believe my female is no more than 3-4 months old. Would this be ok to introduce (of course after quarentine) since the male would be older?

Makes no difference. I had an older neutered male with a female. They were a very bonded pair. When he was stating to slow down, she really took care of him. She'd be licking and cleaning him all the time and would lay next to him wherever he'd be. From what I saw with my two different neutered males, I think a neutered male and female pair is even better than a neutered male with multiple females.

@Emissa: After neutering and proper quarantine you would be able to introduce. Personality plays a bigger role than age in regards to successful intros, but male/female pairs usually work well.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.