Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Frustrated NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Do neutered males still mount? :O

I have two 1 year old piggies. One is a neutered male, the other is a female. Last night at 2 AM they woke me up because Izzy (female) was squeling like crazy. I watched as felix repeatedly attempted to mount her, and she repeatedly ran away. Felix was neutered before I got him, and I got him from a shelter. My question is, would a neutered pig still want to mount a female? I guess he would because it's instinct, but I want to make sure he truly is neutered.
I have some pictures of his bum area, so if anyone can confirm that he's neutered that would be great !
[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S
[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S
I feel like I need to add that his underside is yellow because he was eating orange pepper before I caught him for this photo shoot :D

Re: Do neutered males still mount? :O

In my experience, any pig will mount any other pig. lol

thats what I figuired but I don't want izzy to become pregnant because he isn't actually neutered :/ thats my concern. I don't want babies!

Humping is a sign of dominance, any gender will do it.

Did the shelter neuter him themselves? Can you confirm with them? How long ago was he neutered before putting with your female?

Edit to add:
I can't tell from the pic if he's neutered or not. I have a pig who look just like that without being neutered. He's on the small side.

Here are some pic you can compare with.
https://cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm

When I adopted him he was neutered and already bonded with the female. Felix isn't the dominate pig though, izzy is. They told me at the foster home that he is neutered, and they've been housed together for a while.

If he'd already been living with a female and she isn't pregnant by now, it's a safe bet he's neutered.

yeah that's what I figuired. I just worry that something was done incorrectly, I really want nothing to do with babies and breeding. I don't think she's pregnant, I pick her up just fine. She is on the larger side, but she eats a LOT so that makes sense. She was at the foster home with him for 3 weeks, so I assume everything is fine.

Very worried.

My little felix is a one year old male and he normally weighs between 945g-1100g depending on when I weigh him.
I just weighed him now and he weighs about 825 grams. This was before breakfast. I checked his teeth and the front ones line up and seem to be okay. I haven't had a really good look at him so I'm not sure about the molars or if his mouth hangs open. He managed to eat a carrot, but he was slower then my izzy. Izzy normally gobbles things up, but felix wasn't even half way done when she finished. I'm thinking there might be a problem with his teeth. Last night I heard his stomach 'grumble' and I think he farted. I went to inspect and I thought perhaps he has something in his perenial sac or something (I don't know why I thought that) so I went to clean him with a q-tip and ended up with a really mushy, slimy, liquid poop wrapped around the q-tip.
This morning I decided to put him in a pen beside there regular cage, so I can see if he's eating, pooping etc. So far all I've seen him eat is a carrot, and he has only passed 2 poops. They're on the smaller side, but they are solid poop.
He has just been lying in his house, which is normal for him because he's a shy pig. I've only had him a month.
I've offered him his favourite veggies, lots of hay etc and he hasn't touched anything except the carrot I held out for him.
I'm concerned something is wrong. I don't think he's bloated, and I haven't changed anything in there diet.
The only resonable explanation for the weight loss could be the upgrade in cages. For the past two weeks they have been in a 2x7 and seem to be VERY active running around. Before they didn't run much, if at all, in their 2x4.
Should I hand feed him? I don't know what to do!

Re: Very worried.

Just an update, he did pass some mushy poop when I had him isolated but him and Izzy did not want to be seperated so I put them back together. Felix has been nibbling at hay and some apple. I'm watching him very closely.

can someone please respond ?! :(

What you should do is take him to a vet. You should also stop giving him any veggies or fruit -- both of them can contribute to mushy, slushy poops if he has an intestinal problem going on.

Changing cages might throw him off stride for a day or so, but you're talking about a weight loss of 175 grams. That's serious, and not caused by cage differences.

The really slimy poop may have been one of the cecal poops that he usually eats, but it shouldn't be liquid.

You can't tell anything about his molars by looking at his mouth. Vets have to use a special tool, and even then it's not always easy. But if he can pick up his food and eat it, but just doesn't, the teeth probably aren't the problem.

The good news is that GI problems often can be treated with Flagyl, which pigs tolerate much better than other medications, and which is pretty inexpensive.

If it were my pig, I'd be looking for a vet.

He seems much better now, he's eating. I weighed him again at 5PM and he's 1000 grams. I'm going to weigh him again tomorrow morning, and if his weight has dropped I will be taking him to the vet. It might have been a cecal poop, considering I was cleaning the sac. He hasn't passed a single mushy poop, that was just on the q-tip. I also NEVER weigh them in the morning, so that might be why the number is low. But even then, 825 is low for a male pig ! I'm going to monitor him very closely. My female's weight also fluctuates a lot. She was 1300g at one point and now she's back to the usual 1100g. I suspect it might be my 9 dollar manual scale. I really need an accurate digital one.

I am still very concerned that my male is not neutered. I got him from a shelter. They've been together for 8 weeks now, and I adopted the male and female as a neutered pair. I've looked at pictures of neutered and neutered pigs, and It's hard to tell. It looks to me like my pig has ONE testicle. He still ejaculates, which confuses me because if he's neutered they remove the testicle, therefore they shouldn't be able to produce fluids. I have a picture, if anyone can help me figure this out.
[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S
It's not the best picture, but that 'ball' looks like a testicle, does it not? :S
I do not want my one year old female to end up pregnant.

It looks like testicle or an abscess. Either way I would get him into the vet asap to check it out.

What did they say his neuter date was?

There are such things as failed neuters, but pigs can also develop abscesses after neutering. I definitely wouldn't put him with a female, and I'd get him back to the vet for an opinion.

I'm going to call around and ask my mom to take him to the vet to confirm. I'm very very worried now. They didn't say what the neuter date is. I don't think my female pig is pregnant although she is very big. I sincerely hope she isn't pregnant, at a year old it's very risky. :( I will post a picture of her.

[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S[GuineaPigCages.com] NEUTERED guinea pig with testicles? :S
I tried feeling around her abdomen lightly, it's hard to tell. I don't think I felt kicking, I think it was her heart beating, but then I can't be sure.

how necessary is it that I seperate them? If he isn't neutered, she would be pregnant by now. He has mounted her before, but I assumed it was dominance. I found 'boar glue' around her genitel area, that I washed off. Someone else on this thread had said that he will still ejaculate if he's neutered. I have a bad feeling about this.

Very necessary, as she can and probably will be impregnated again immediately after giving birth if he's still with her.

I know that they go into heat right after, but right now I don't even know if she's pregnant. My mom is going to call the vet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.