Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Nelly sniffs Holly's bum a lot!

Margey

Cavy Slave
Nelly and Holly my 2 sows are seeming to fight again. Nelly would stick her nose into Holly's butt fur and 'nose around' and climb on her back a little. She would almost chase Holly around trying to get her nose into Holly's fur. They chatter their teeth too. I checked them both, they are females! Is this normal? ~Margey

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Yes, totally normal. If it happens every couple of weeks, one or both of them is in heat. It'll last a day or two and then stop.

But that's absolutely not "fighting." It's dominance behavior. Fighting is bared-teeth, rolling ball of fur.

Margey

Cavy Slave
Yes, totally normal. If it happens every couple of weeks, one or both of them is in heat. It'll last a day or two and then stop.

But that's absolutely not "fighting." It's dominance behavior. Fighting is bared-teeth, rolling ball of fur.

Hmm okay. Yes I guess that's not fighting. :) So if Nelly mounts and chases Holly around, is Nelly is the 'boss'? And should I not try to stop this behavior?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
No, you should not try to stop the behavior. Just let them be unless Holly is harassed to the point that she's losing weight. Then you'll have to separate them permanently.

The other possibility, if it happens all the time, is that Nelly has a hormonal problem such as ovarian cysts. How old is she?

Margey

Cavy Slave
Well you were right when you said it will only last a day or two. I haven't seen more dominance behavior this morning. And Nelly and Holly are both 1 1/2 years old. (I got them from a shelter) But no, Nelly isn't doing this all the time. Well when she is in 'heat' she does it all the time but not now. She seems to be 'back to normal'. :) Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. ~Margey

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.