Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Needing support at end of Rosie's life

englishdaffodil

Cavy Slave
Hi, everyone--I could use some emotional support, if y'all have any to spare.

Rosie is quickly reaching the end of her little life. She has sarcoma, and had a tumor removed in early April, so I've known since then that this was coming. I did a lot of grieving about a month ago, when she had a bad spell and I thought I was losing her, but she pulled through.

Now it's different, though. Each day I see her decline. Her tumor has regrown (it's ridiculously large, sigh) and in the past two days or so I see that it is harder for her to walk.

She lays down pretty much constantly now and only moves to eat and drink. Although I have been monitoring her weight pretty closely, I'm not sure that's going to give me much new info now--in the last two weeks she's actually gained several ounces. (I'm assuming that's the tumor...she is an adult and her weight has been otherwise stable for as long as I've had her.) So far she is eating pellets and veggies and drinking water as normal, though her hay consumption has gone down this week.

It doesn't look to me like she's in pain, although it is SO hard to know. She looks tired, mostly. She still happily accepts lap time and head skritches. She doesn't talk much, and she used to be a champion talker.

If I thought she was suffering, I'd take her in a heartbeat to her much-beloved vet and put her down. At the same time, of course, I don't want to shorten her life needlessly. Right now I am just trying to love on her a lot and watch her very closely. One day at a time.

I'm not sure there's a question in all of this...I just needed to write it down and tell some folks who'll understand. I am sad, and I want so badly to do the right thing for Rosie, and it's so hard to know what that is. I wish she could tell me what she needs. I wish there was a magic way to make this goodbye hurt less.

Thanks for listening.

If she's eating and drinking but might be in pain, I'd contact your vet to get her on Metacam. If there's a risk of the tumor rupturing, I'd consider having her euthanized. This might be something you discuss with your vet to make a decision about what's the best course of action. My senior female passed last weekend. I decided to let nature take it's course and allow her to pass when she was ready. She didn't seem to suffer and it seemed like her system started shutting down and she went to sleep. I've had to euthanize others that were suffering. If they're in pain and there is no chance that they will recover, that's when I opt to euthanize. If I can control their pain and they're able to function, I try and keep them pain free for as long as they want to eat and drink. I know how much it hurts. You're among friends here who understand......

Thanks, Pinky. I am sorry for you loss.

Again, I don't *think* she is in pain right now. If she were, I absolutely would take her in. I wish I could know for sure, but all I can do is watch her closely and try to read her body language. (As I typed this she came out of her hidey and is having some pellets. :))

Her vet says that I am doing what I can for now--she said to watch for eating and drinking and "making happy piggy noises," which was cute (and I knew exactly what she meant!).

The waiting is the worst. The uncertainty. I want a definite answer, and there isn't one. I sorta feel like something will happen in the next couple of days--either she will get worse and I will take her in, or else she will go on her own. I hope she knows she can let go when she needs to. I keep telling her--I hope she understands.

I am very sorry to hear this story:( I think that if she's eating alright, she's not suffering. I hope things become clear for you as soon as possible. Good luck!

Thanks, Pinky. I am sorry for you loss.

Again, I don't *think* she is in pain right now. If she were, I absolutely would take her in. I wish I could know for sure, but all I can do is watch her closely and try to read her body language. (As I typed this she came out of her hidey and is having some pellets. :))

Her vet says that I am doing what I can for now--she said to watch for eating and drinking and "making happy piggy noises," which was cute (and I knew exactly what she meant!).

The waiting is the worst. The uncertainty. I want a definite answer, and there isn't one. I sorta feel like something will happen in the next couple of days--either she will get worse and I will take her in, or else she will go on her own. I hope she knows she can let go when she needs to. I keep telling her--I hope she understands.

She might be around longer than you think. Sometimes when I think they're on their last leg, they surprise me and live quite a bit longer. Your best bet is to take one day at a time. She'll let you know what she needs. These little ones are pretty good at communicating their needs by their behavior. It sounds like she's holding her own. They don't understand what causes discomfort so as long as you make sure she's comfortable and able to eat and drink, that's what she needs.... I have no doubt that she understands that you are doing everything possible for her. You're a good Mom.....

One problem I can see is if the tumor ruptures or opens and starts bleeding, you will need to be able to get her to the vet asap. At that point she will most likely be in some pain, and you may wish you had taken her in before that happens.

I will tell you one thing I learned--I would much rather take her in a day or two too early than even a second too late.

I'm sorry. It's the hardest thing ever.

Oh dear, it'd be awful if the tumor ruptured. Does that happen often? Ugh.

Maybe I'll call the vet in the morning....

It depends on how big the tumor is, where it's located, and the type.

OK. It's on her chest, in between her front legs. But big, yes, unfortunately. I will call tomorrow. Thank you for the info.

My thoughts are with you at this difficult time. It really is one of the hardest decisions to make. If only our animal friends could talk and tell us if they're in pain or what they want, but instead it falls to us to make the best choice we can. I know how hard it will be to lose her, but at least you can take comfort in knowing that you're doing everything possible to keep her comfortable and do the best thing.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little piggy! Every time I read these stories it reminds me of having to put my puppy down (He was 7 so he wasn't such a puppy but he ways my baby so I will always think of him as a puppy). I know it's not easy to know when they're in pain, but I have faith you will know when it's time. We're here to listen to you, and comfort you when need be!! HUGS!

Hi sorry to hear about Rosie,If it was me I would take her to a vet,as one of my dogs he was 12 yrs old and loved him to bits but last year he was I'll with heart problems which was treated with meds but then he had a growth which was a cancerous tumour the vet said that it could rupture which would've been an awful thing.
So as must as it hurt I had to think of Bobby so I took him to the vet where he had a peaceful end
Its worse for us as but for him he just went to sleep.
Obviously it's your decision but if it was me I would take Rosie and remember she has had a good
Life. and she will have a peaceful end.Animals don't show pain like us Humans .Good luck.

Thank you, everyone. I spoke with the vet today and she was very supportive. She said that I know Rosie better than anyone and that ultimately I was the best judge of when it was time, but she agreed that her increasingly impaired lack of mobility is a pretty big sign. I will take her tomorrow and have her euthanized.

Feeling so very foggy today. I am mostly okay with the decision to put her down because I think it is best for her, but the thought of her not being her anymore is so awful. I seem to swing between crying and numbly dazed.

The vet asked me to think ahead about two decisions--1) Do I want to be there? and 2) What to do with her body? I definitely want to be with her, and am thinking I would like to bring her home and bury her in the back yard. My yard is too shady to grow much, but if I can then I'd like to try planting some carrots around her. I know she'd approve, and the smile this brings to my face right now, in the middle of tears, is worth a lot. :)

Thank you again for listening.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rosie.

So sorry to hear about this. I feel horrible for you and Rosie! Good thoughts to you and Rosie!

I am sorry to hear about your sweet Rosie. We had to put down our little Carmella a couple of weeks ago...she was suffering and in pain. I was very hard to do. We brought her home and buried her in the backyard. My prayers and thoughts are with you and Rosie.

Thank you, everyone. I called a friend who lives nearby and asked if I could borrow a shovel...when he heard why he insisted on coming over and digging her a little grave. I told him he wins the friend of the decade award for that. This is a guy who, like so many, doesn't understand why people would have any pets other than a dog or cat...but he knows I love Rosie. What a gift.

I have everything ready for tomorrow's trip. I will take along her nearly-full bag of hay and let the vets put it to good use. Rosie and I had a big snuggle and talk on the couch (with a huge piece of watermelon rind thrown in for good measure) and I told her I loved her a lot. She is noticeably worse tonight than when I first posted this last night--and given that it took us 24 hours to get the vet appointment, I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

I know it is the right thing for her, but I will sure miss her big big personality.

My eyes are wet now from reading that. It sounds like you're truly making the right choice for Rosie, and sometimes the right choice is the hardest one. But you're not being selfish. You're doing what's best for her, even though it tears your heart out.

The burial idea and carrots sounds very fitting. When Mufasa died, we buried him in his lap time towel under the tree right outside our back door and put decorative stones on his grave so he'll always be near us. It sounds like you have a treasure trove of wonderful memories of Rosie, so once the pain eases, having her close by will let you remember those and smile and be glad she was a part of your life.

I am so sorry :-( It's such a tough decision but it sounds like you are doing the right thing for you and for Rosie. I am tearing up reading your post because it wasn't all that long ago that I had to make the same decision about my little Louie.

I think the memorial grave in the backyard with the carrot garden is the perfect idea.

Wow. This is so sad! I am sorry you are losing her, but it sounds like you gave her a great life. I will always miss my little Olga, Wilbur, Ellie, Bug and Daisy. The best is the memories you gave eachother, and knowing you did your best and made her happy as she could be...thoughts are with you and Rosie.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.