Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Special Needs Needing help making a non gassy diet for the pig!

Gigabyte

Cavy Slave
So, my guinea pig, Gigabyte, got horrible GI stasis a couple months ago and as a last resort for comfort, we gave him pain meds and he was better almost instantly. But, the vet tech marked the syringe wrong and the first dose was so high that I am very surprised that he lived. Yikes!
Anyway, this, or the GI Stasis seems to have damaged his tummy and he gets gas often. Which, as many of you know, guinea pigs have a tough time passing. It makes him feel a lot better after we massage it out and give him the anti-gas drops that the vet recommended.
Today, he had a VERY bad bout of it that made him very very off and I thought it'd be gastric stasis all over again. He will be okay, I think. But he's still seeing the vet soon, after I consult with her on the phone tomorrow.

I need help choosing a 'low gas' diet with high protein to help him gain and maintain weight. I have him on unlimited hay, and pellets for just a bit. He eats about a half cup of spring lettuce mix (baby romaine, some red-ish lettuce mixed in, and spinach!), then as a snack in a morning, he gets a baby carrot. Occasionally, he gets a piece of cucumber.

Does anyone have any budget savvy ideas to help with the gas? I space out his feedings, besides hay and pellets, but he still gets really gassy when he's stressed.

So, to you guys I ask...
What to feed? And what not to feed?
I want your suggestions, then I will run them by the vet and make a schedule for feeding so he is gas pain free!

Good choices include kale, spinach, turnip greens, parsley, romaine lettuce, and dandelion greens. Avoid or limit cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, bok choy and other cruciferous vegetables as they can lead to gas production in the digestive tract.

Good choices include kale, spinach, turnip greens, parsley, romaine lettuce, and dandelion greens. Avoid or limit cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, collards, bok choy and other cruciferous vegetables as they can lead to gas production in the digestive tract.

Kale, spinach, turnip greens should only be fed one to two time per week. Parsley and dandelion greens 2 to 4 times a week. I'd refer to the diet and nutrition charts for better choices. It's important to feed vegetables that are a good balance of calcium to phosphorus.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.