Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Need to switch

cfoster1966

Cavy Slave
I have had 6 piggies for over 2 years now and have always used fleece/mattress pad liners. It was wonderful when I was paid to stay home and take care of foster kids and my energy bills were completely paid for. Now, I am too busy to change my cage every other day...I don't ever spot clean. I know people say fleece is less expensive and it might be for some but when you change a 2x8 cage 3-4 times a week, along with 5+ beds and you account for detergent, electric, fuel oil, and the wear and tear on the washer and dryer (every use shortens the life expectancy ....another thing fleece proponents forget to factor in...lol... )it is really MORE expensive than bedding, not too mention time consuming. What I am looking for is what would work best for a 2x8 cage. I do not spot clean and no longer have time to change the cage every other day and I have super stinky pigs. In your experience, if cost was not an option, what bedding would last the longest for stinky pigs?

You sound really busy-- Do you even have time to provide floor time, and have interaction with your Piggies? If you don't have time to clean your cage, then there aren't many things you can have time for-- Cage cleaning shouldn't take that long with Fleece, even though you have a bigger cage.

Spot cleaning really will help. It isn't that hard to do and doesn't take that long. It will make things a lot easier. I don't see why you can't just spot clean every day, it will extend how long you can go without changing. Also, you can sew together "potty pads" and put them at areas of your cage where the Piggies like to go the most.

You do have a lot of Pigs, so I understand that you must clean a lot. I would look into Carefresh bedding, but I have had success with Kaytee Clean'N'Cozy bedding too.

Myself though, I would keep it the way it is. It may seem hard, but it will be a lot easier than scooping out the litter ever week and things like that.

Good luck, though!

I have one cage I use regular bedding in. I prefer Sun Seed or Fresh News. If cost is a factor, they're less expensive than Carefresh and I like them better. I watch for them to go on sale and stock up.

No offense, but, if you don't have time to even spot clean, than I don't know if you have time to care for these pigs...

I dunno' fosters are 24/7. Have a couple friends that foster. Spot cleaning should only take 5-10 minutes. Can you encourage the kids to help? Animals are known to be beneficial with health.

Try wood stove pellets. They are inexpensive. I usually get a 40 lbs bag for $6. You'll probably need 2 bags for the size of your cage.

When I was using wood pellets, they lasted 2 weeks without cleaning. I still had small fleece pads for them to lay on and that has cut down the laundry.

I went back to fleece just because these pellets are heavy and I think the weekly cleaning with fleece is easier.

Pros:
- Does not smell
- Does not require spot cleaning
- No issues with hay (unlike fleece)

Cons:
- Heavy
- Hard to find in summer

Cons for medical reasons:
- Hard to detect blood or calcium in urine
- Cannot see if the pigs stop pooping

First day of use.
[GuineaPigCages.com] Need to switch

After 6 days, you can barely notice the poop. Plus there's no smell at all.

Close up of day 6

Thanks to all who were helpful with my actual question. :) For those of you concerned about my piggies, let me assure you they are very well cared for. I do not spot clean because doing so takes longer than actually changing out the fleece pads....with 6 pigs in a 2x8 there is no picking up each poop, vacuuming or sweeping are the only options.... and, when it's done, it still smells. As for floor time, they are out of their cage for at least 2 hours a day, either on my tile floor or in the backyard. I just wanted something that would require less maintenance on a daily basis, esp now that I am trying to set up a new house. The laundry is usually 3 loads per cage change which means as soon as I finish it, it's almost time to change the cage again...lol Anyway, thak you for the helpful ideas. Enjoy the day!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.