Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need to switch!

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I don't really like the odor the fleece is giving off. I need to switch to something lowcost and fairly easy to clean out (Doesn't fall out of a scoop). I am planning on using fleece as the bottom absorbant layer. Any ideas?

charliesmommy

Cavy Slave
Moomoo, you read my mind! I was just getting ready to start a thread on this same topic. My fleece smells awful after a day or two, and that's too much upkeep to wash it and dry it every other day. I'm really interested in Cell-Sorb... does anyone know anything about it or use it? Otherwise I guess I'm going back to Aspen and/or Carefresh, but the cost is so high on those!

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Sell Sorb is awesome but it's pretty expensive and it's like little dots (Pretty Messy) If you don't mind the mess but don't want smell and you want something absorbant, I'd say go for it.

pennick

Cavy Slave
Why is aspen so expensive. For the largest bags (2.0 that expands to 5.0) I pay approx. $15.00. I have a 2x4 cage and 2 piggies and I change the shavings every 2 weeks. The bag lasts for 3 changes, every 6 weeks. Veggies cost me much more than that.

Of course I dont know how big your cage is or how many piggies you have or how frequently you change your cage, only going by my usage.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Nvm... I was thinking you meant "Soft Sorbent"

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Update: Found a 50 liter bag of carefresh in my garage from the old bedding days. Using that for a while then later i'm going for my Oxbow hay and food (And possibly Vitamin Tablets) and some aspen, soft sorbent, or carefresh.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I, too, recently switched back to shavings after a short foray into fleece. Fleece is way too messy for me.

For cheap shavings, take a visit to your local feedstore or Tractor Supply Co. where they sell horse equipment and feed. You can get large bags of kiln-dried pine shavings for about $4 a piece. Can't beat it! I usually get 6 bags at a time.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Plummie said:
I, too, recently switched back to shavings after a short foray into fleece. Fleece is way too messy for me.

For cheap shavings, take a visit to your local feedstore or Tractor Supply Co. where they sell horse equipment and feed. You can get large bags of kiln-dried pine shavings for about $4 a piece. Can't beat it! I usually get 6 bags at a time.

Yes TSC has some VERY good deals

kimberly78

Cavy Slave
I used fleece and it was too high matience and smelled terrbile despite various ways of using it. I have used cellsorb and yesterdays news both I loved but its so pricy. I have used a lot of other products on the market and went back to aspen. A big bag at petsmart is like 12 bucks and I get a pretty good running use of it before I run out. I ended up making little beds out if the fleece for the pigs so they get the comfy spots when they dont want to be on the aspen bedding.

Daisy Duke
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Daisy Duke

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
THANK you Daisy

Daisy Duke

stipma

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
kimberly78 said:
I used fleece and it was too high matience and smelled terrbile despite various ways of using it. I have used cellsorb and yesterdays news both I loved but its so pricy. I have used a lot of other products on the market and went back to aspen. A big bag at petsmart is like 12 bucks and I get a pretty good running use of it before I run out. I ended up making little beds out if the fleece for the pigs so they get the comfy spots when they dont want to be on the aspen bedding.

You can get Yesterday's News in the cat section as well. It's the same stuff only considerably cheaper and the bag is much bigger.

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
Daisy Duke said:
No prob. I like the newly added second level. Are you going to add a third level?

Actually Yes, this weekend.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
luvmypiggers, are you moomoo.

Penneck, I only paid 9.50 for a 9.0 sqft bag of aspen. That is out ragous. I would never pay that much for aspen. I use fleece for all my piggers. The girls have one big section with fleece and their feeding area is aspen.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
luvmypiggers, are you moomoo.

Penneck, I only paid 9.50 for a 9.0 sqft bag of aspen. That is out ragous. I would never pay that much for aspen. I use fleece for all my piggers. The girls have one big section with fleece and their feeding area is aspen.

Daisy Duke

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I just switched to fleece for the third time today- figured I would give it a try- HATE IT. My room smells, the fleece smells, and the pigs smell.

John4216

Cavy Slave
I have 6 piggies and use fleece and have absolutely no smell from it. I change my fleece every day though and wash it every day so that could be why. I change the newspaper under the fleece every 2 days.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.