Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Need some pigsitting advice

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
I'm going to Paris for spring break, so I'm leaving my pigger with a friend who also has a pig. So she knows the basics. What I plan on doing is putting every meal into a plastic baggy so all she has to do is dump it into a bowl. I'm going to be gone for 10 days though, and I'm worried that the veggies won't stay fresh in a plastic bag for 10 days. Does anyone have any advice for this?

newpiggiemommy

Cavy Slave
10 days is a long time to expect veggies to stay fresh! Is there anyway you could get your friend to cut it up fresh for the last 5 days! That way she will have seen what you feed for the first five days and then she can cut up the right amount for the last five days! You may need to leave some money incase something goes bad or they run out of something!

Good Luck and have fun in Paris!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you have someone reliable to watch your piggy while you're gone. Hope you have a safe and fun trip! We plan on going to the beach late this summer and I'll have to see if I can pay my brother to feed and clean poopies every day for my piggies.

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
They should be fine for at least five days. I would use things that stay fresh longer. I have better luck with romaine that parsley and cilantro as far as freshness. You could also bring peppers but don't cut into them all, have 2-4 bags w/serving amount and she should get the idea and be ok. You could also give her $5 or so incase she runs out or needs to replace some. Have a nice trip, have you been there before? I went my Jr year in high school. Don't rush through things, take it all in! The group I was with was more interested in Jim Morrisons grave that the Louvre and ran through it in 2 1/2 hours. Now I can only hope to go back and spend that amount of time in one room there.

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
They should be fine for at least five days. I would use things that stay fresh longer. I have better luck with romaine that parsley and cilantro as far as freshness. You could also bring peppers but don't cut into them all, have 2-4 bags w/serving amount and she should get the idea and be ok. You could also give her $5 or so incase she runs out or needs to replace some. Have a nice trip, have you been there before? I went my Jr year in high school. Don't rush through things, take it all in! The group I was with was more interested in Jim Morrisons grave that the Louvre and ran through it in 2 1/2 hours. Now I can only hope to go back and spend that amount of time in one room there.

Nope I've never left the country (US)!!! I'm super excited and we're going to be there 6 full days which probably isn't long enough to spend an adequate amount of time at every place I want to go but its better than nothing! I wanted to take a trip to london and take the chunnel but my mom said it would be 2 days away from paris and too much money :weepy:. But we're spending an entire day at Versailles which I'm SO EXCITED about!

About the veggies - my only problem is that I take all my veggies except for lettuce from my school cafeteria salad bar. They're already pre-cut and I take them when I need them. I might have to suck it up and shell out the money for veggies from the grocery store. I just don't know how many I would need to get for 10 days!

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
I'm so glad you have someone reliable to watch your piggy while you're gone. Hope you have a safe and fun trip! We plan on going to the beach late this summer and I'll have to see if I can pay my brother to feed and clean poopies every day for my piggies.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she's "reliable" haha. I got my piggie 3-4 weeks before she decided to get one. I live on a college campus and I can't fly her home with me before I leave for Paris so I have to cross my fingers that everything will go ok!

naturegal592

Cavy Slave
You could get away with 2 large heads of romaine $3, and 3 peppers $3. That is just a guess, but you could get away for under $10. easy. But I would still leave her a few bucks for back up.

cinnyminny

Cavy Slave
You could get away with 2 large heads of romaine $3, and 3 peppers $3. That is just a guess, but you could get away for under $10. easy. But I would still leave her a few bucks for back up.

Yeah I was going to get 1 head of romaine and 1 head of green leaf. And then tear the leaves and put them into baggies with dry paper towels. I just wasn't sure if they would last 10 days that way or not. I'm still thinking of ideas! I have til next thursday to have everything prepared. I just want to make it as easy as possible for my friend.