Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Need some ideas!

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
I just adopted my first piggie a few weeks ago and he came with a store bought cage. I wanted to give him a little while to adjust to me and my family before moving him into a c&c cage. Unfortunately we were told yesterday that I need to go on bedrest untill I deliver ( I am due in December) and so we will be going from two incomes back down to one. I was planning on building a 2x3 cage which I have the perfect spot for. I am now trying to find a less expensive alternative but have no idea where to start.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I think the a C&C is really the cheapest cage out there, I don't think you'll have much luck finding something you can make for less, however you can find places where you can get the materials for less. You can look on craigslist or ask friends for free or really cheap grids, just make sure they are the 9x9 kind and coroplast is only $10 per sheet, but you can ask around to possibly find it used for free.

Guineas4life

Cavy Slave
C how about a shower curtain as the bottom and grids for the sides? Grids are prety cheap at walmart just make sure they are 9-9

Sagers4

Cavy Slave
I have used a small plastic pool before. They do not look the best but they are cheap and as long as you make sure your pigs are safe it can be a good alternative.

jacquerooks

Cavy Slave
I have seen the pool thing and considered it, but don't know where I would put it. My problem has been finding coroplast for a good price. I can buy the grids at Sam's Club (which is where I buy my baby diapers so I am there a lot) and I also have a good amount of fleece already. I have heard some people say that they use linoleum instead of coroplast?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You can use linoleum, plastic shower curtain, plastic table cloth, or plastic tarp instead of coroplast.

Home Depot carries coroplast for $10.50. You can click on "Pick Up In Store" and type in your zip code.

(broken link removed)

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
@lissie - is this a new item that they're carrying? they never had large sheets before - i'm soooo happy they have this now - thanks for the head's up!

lissie

Cavy Slave
@jacqueline This is new to me also. I never knew they carry them until I read about them on another thread.

MomofTwoBugs

Cavy Slave
Yes, new to me as well. I was in Home Depot a couple of times yesterday and asked if they carry corrugated plastic and was told "no". I looked at the link you provided, Lis, and it's the common thickness for a cage......5/32 is just under 4mm. I'm going to print out that page and take it to HD today just to verify. Of course, I'm not in the market to buy any since I have a Sabic about 5 minutes from me.

It's probably o.k. if you like white! :yawn: And, it is smaller than the 4'x8' sheets available at Sabic. At least it will hopefully make it easier for some of our members to order and pick up locally.

I found it online from Home Depot and then when I went to the store they told me they didn't carry it. I wound up going back and finding it the next day. At my store it was near where the doors and cabinets are. I would suggest looking up the SKU # online and taking that with you. That will help you find it if you have to ask someone in the store.

iamsnape

Cavy Slave
You can get free coroplast from estate agents because they make the signs from it, if that helps

MomofTwoBugs

Cavy Slave
Thanks....good suggestion. I did print the online page. As I mentioned, I'm not in the market to buy from them. It really was just a rhetorical exercise to see how knowledgeable the sales people are, and if, in fact, they have it in stock and don't know it.

The sad part is that my store failed that exercise miserably. They had 30 sheets of it 10 foot from where the employee said it would be and that employee, plus 2 others, never saw it.

ShelbysPiggies

Cavy Slave
You can use linoleum, plastic shower curtain, plastic table cloth, or plastic tarp instead of coroplast.

Home Depot carries coroplast for $10.50. You can click on "Pick Up In Store" and type in your zip code.

(broken link removed)

OH MY GOSH! I wish I had seen this sooner, I went to Fast Signs and they charged me $30 ish for my sheet. Just big enough for a 2x4 cage with 6 inch sides (it ended up turning into a 2x3 because of helpers being too helpful heh).. I will have to keep this in mind for when we redo the cage :)

Thank you thank you thank you!!

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
I looked on craigs list for grids, and just this morning I went and picked up 25 grids + connectors for 25$ ! That was quite a deal. Those are going to be for my travel cage on the 18th, and later a play pen :cool: I was very pleased. I would agree, a c and c really is cheapest. What if you put away some money every week until you can comfortably buy all materials? My mom and I made a one month plan for my pigs. At the end of the month I got them.

ShelbysPiggies

Cavy Slave
After some investigating, it turns out that they do not sell it at my Home Depot, at least not at the moment. So sad :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.