Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Need some advice about my baby Guinea

lolagirl

Cavy Slave
I looked for a few days in my area for breeders and adoptions but didn't find anything even close to where I live so I bought a guinea pig from a small time pet store that only gets there animals from breeders.
She was born on 4/6/2012(which makse her 14 days old) and I questioned whether she was too young to leave her momma.....they said no, she was fine, she was eating and drinking on her own. She was exactly what I was looking for but they wouldn't hold her for me so I bought her. Came home and looked at tons of websites to make sure she is going to be ok without momma and numerous sites said babies should be 21 days before completely weaning.....now I am nervous....I called the store and they assured me she was eating and drinking and no longer needs momma's milk. Another pet store said she should be fine also.
Should I think about supplementing with bottle feeding this baby for another week or so??

Just got baby this morning and all she has done so far is snuggle in her bed....wot if she is too nervous to eat?

Thanks so much for your help......

Hi. I do not know much about young piggies, but I am sure someone will reply soon that does.

Thanks kananaka....I hope so....really want to do the best for baby.....my daughter would be devastated if something happened to her.....I have spent the last 3 hours trying to find nursing bottles with long spouts and goats milk that can be overnighted....just in case I need them.....impossible to find for such a quick delivery.

I heard somewhere that if pigs are rejected by their moms (or in your case taken away), but they are eating and drinking by themselves than they should be fine. I am also pretty sure that you shouldn't give her any milk. As long as she is eating and drinking then I think she will be fine. If she is not you could try to syringe feed her a pellet mash.

I might be wrong so please anyone feel free to correct me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.