Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Need quick help: Is 100% cotton okay?

Its safe, yes, but it'll get wet when they pee and the urine wont wick away like fleece does. So it'll get yucky pretty quickly.

Its safe, yes, but it'll get wet when they pee and the urine wont wick away like fleece does. So it'll get yucky pretty quickly.

Oh, I'm glad to hear that! Not the pee part, lol....I was planning to buy some waterproof fleece potty pads to fit. It's too cute and no one sells any made with fleece.

Thanks for your quick help! :)

Not only does it not wick pee, but it'll ravel if he chews it. If he swallows the threads, he can get an intestinal blockage. So no, it's NOT safe. Fleece is about the only safe material to go in a cage if it's placed where the pigs can get to it.

Not only does it not wick pee, but it'll ravel if he chews it. If he swallows the threads, he can get an intestinal blockage. So no, it's NOT safe. Fleece is about the only safe material to go in a cage if it's placed where the pigs can get to it.

OK. If I'm able to find someone to make it in fleece, is it ok....or still not because of visible thread?

I agree with bpatters. Not only that but cotton will get GROSS quick. Your guinea pig would be standing in his own waste because it will not wick away this poses a health risk to him. Cotton will also break down quicker than fleece with the repeat washings and urination on it.

I am asking if she'd be willing to make it in a fleece fabric (assuming you all tell me it's safe). She also told me she's custom made them without the bottoms, which is what I was planning to have her do. Glad I checked here before ordering.

I'm also curious how this is any different from the cotton hay pouches people use in their cages? Aside from not being able to urinate on the hay bags, they could still chew and unravel.

The tent is only 6" high, and 6" square at the base. That would be too small for guinea pigs. It was designed for hedgehogs, they are much smaller than guinea pigs.

The tent is only 6" high, and 6" square at the base. That would be too small for guinea pigs. It was designed for hedgehogs, they are much smaller than guinea pigs.

The one I actually want I a larger size, 10x10 base and 8.5 high

I'm also curious how this is any different from the cotton hay pouches people use in their cages? Aside from not being able to urinate on the hay bags, they could still chew and unravel.

That's why I said it was safe (albeit will get dirty quickly). I used cotton hay bags and never had a problem with stray threads or chewing on it. Same goes for towels, lots of users use cotton towels in the cage under fleece or just extra in the cage. Like anything in the cage, you check things over daily to make sure it's still ok for use. If you have a serious chewer, fleece items could be just as "dangerous" because it's sewn together with thread and they could get to it too if they were persistent. So I guess I'd say it depends on your pig. Mine would have no issue with cotton items because they don't chew the fabric items in the cage.

I haven't used fleece in the cage yet, but I regularly hold him in a blanket and he doesn't bother with it. He doesn't bother with the toilet paper rolls we put in, either. I don't think he's a big chewer, in general, but I will for sure keep an eye on him with new things. Thank you.

Do you sew? I can direct you to instructions to make one just like it!

Here is the link to the tutorial/pattern! It's actually pretty simple, although i simplify a couple of the steps since fleece doesn't unravel. I only cut out half as many tent pole tabs, and skip the steps 2-4. :)

(broken link removed)

Do you sew? I can direct you to instructions to make one just like it!

I have not got the slightest idea how to sew! I made my first fleece project last night -- the no sew bed -- and even that's an embarrassment, lol (and our guinea is still trying to figure out what the heck it is and why it's in his cage!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.